The Very Best Amplifier I Have Ever Heard!!!!

Josip-del wrote:

Does someone know how much current passes through these transistors BD249C BD250C.

This have been answered before and jacco vermeulen has even given a very accurate calculation in # 1353.

Melon Head if you go back and start to read from # 1297 you will find some
proposal to your question on bias through output FET.

Eivind Stillingen

I read the thread it but I didn’t see, thank for pointing it Liliya!

Melon Head if you go back and start to read from # 1297 you will find some
proposal to your question on bias through output FET.

Eivind Stillingen

I was not asking for myself (I already know what I would use).
I was asking to know what he was intending on using.

At this point in time I am not intending building this thing, as I already have at least 2 other designs of my own that are better.

However if other people report back that it sounds great (ie best amplifier in the universe) then maybe curiosity will get the better of me.

I was not asking for myself (I already know what I would use).
I was asking to know what he was intending on using.

At this point in time I am not intending building this thing, as I already have at least 2 other designs of my own that are better.

However if other people report back that it sounds great (ie best amplifier in the universe) then maybe curiosity will get the better of me.

The only reason for that great sound from that amplifier, is using those MOSFET transistors from Hitachi (2SK175 & 2SJ55).

Thats All, no other things make it perfect, Many designes out there for mosfet amplifiers, many drive topologies. change them and you will see how things will change.

Regards...

Last edited:
Krisfr wrote:
Am I missing something?

Yes, you are. I think I was the first one to listen to the Goldmund clone. In #1403 I wrote about my first impression, and also that I intended to quit the original power to the front end. Instead I use a power unit that MJL 21193 has brought to DIYAudio (with PCB). This power is excellent for the clone.I will show you a photo of this unit to morrow, I hope.

Eivind Stillingen

2SJ & 2SK transistors from TOSHIBA are golden transistors made for audio..

A-ha, J201A-K1530A, ~$80 a piece.

FWIW, in my experience, otherwise identical amps with the 125W Hitachi laterals 'can sound' different compared to the regular J48-J50 and K133-K135 types.

Unless someone craves for 500W Lateral MOSFET amps, which is beyond me, there is (was) no need to use J55/K175 or J56/K176 instead.
Plus they are/were much more expensive.

An example of an amp design where the emphasis was put on added power handling in lieu of better response, where 160Vds J50/K135 would have sufficed for the +/- 71Vdc output stage rails.

Interesting in particular in this thread for a number of other reasons, to name just a few :
- No source resistors, quiescent biasing through standard issue power resistors in the power rails, but in the positive rail only !
- High quiescent current level <=> Where did the negative feedback of the output stage go to ?
- Say what, no output coil in sight !
- Matched input JFETs => 2N5458/2N5459/2N5461/2N5462 (Aargh, $0.10 each)

If you call a Goldmund a Bling, then Tandberg was a Bang : the 3016A cost about 80% of a KSA100 in the 1980s. :clown:

=> => => www.sportsbil.com/tandberg/tpa-3016a-s.pdf <= <= <=

Last edited: