• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Valhalla power amplifier project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A little progress report on my Valhalla project:

I have completed most of the hardware assemblies for the high tension side of the amp. That side is now ready for final wiring.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

On the signal side I have (almost) finished one channel. I have tried to stick to the original wiring plan that I made a few mounts ago, but I had to improvise a little bit, and you always see better solutions when thinks become practical.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

On the picture you will recognise the driver stage at the left side and the output tubes on the right hand side. I think the result became quite tidy and well arranged. No cables are fastening with strips yet; so it still looks a little bit like "Polish free-jazz".
I did not use a particular kind of colour scheme for the wiring, but from the driver board, I used green leads to the 6SN7s grids and red for the plates. Ground is black, B+s are red and C- is orange. Bias is green for tube #1 and yellow for tube #2 (sounds like Ringo Starr singing Yellow Submarine: Sky is blue and sea is green… :note: )

I did not want to mix the high tension (560V) with rest of the wiring so I elevated the B+ cables approx 3 cm from the chassis bottom (or top when I turn it around). I made a sort of pillar attached to one of the terminal strips to elevate them. I will also use this route for the screen leads from the OPT.

The plan is to finish the other side next weak, wire the HT-side, put in the Sowter OPTs and do some preliminary tests and measurements--I hope. :)

Final measurements, Valhalla 2x75W power amplifier:

Frequency response 1 watt L/R ch:
20Hz – 20kHz (+/- 0.1dB)
20Hz - 40kHz (-3 dB)

Power into 6.6 ohms load L/R ch:
2 x 24V rms, 2 x 87 Watt rms

Harmonic distortion:
1W rms, 1kHz: -60dB, 0.1% 2nd harmonic (dominant)
1W rms, 10kHz: -56dB, 0,2% 2nd harmonic (dominant)
80W rms, 1kHz: -50dB, 0.32% 3rd harmoniic (dominant)

Global negative feedback (NFB):
17dB (7x)

Signal/Noise ratio:
Less than 2mV rms output, better than -80 dB (ref 75 watt)

Output impedance:
0.5 Ohm, Damping factor greater than 15x (1kHz)

All measurements done with KT88s (50mA bias) except for output impedance measured with KT90s (60mA bias)

Frequency response:

10kHz square wave:

Distortion pattern 400Hz sine, 80W rms output:

A picture of the amp:

As far as I have tested, yes. But I have just tested with two different sets of speakers: high efficient (99dB/W/m) semi horn speakers and low efficient (ca 88dB/W/m) three ways book shelf speakers.
The open loop gain is not that high, approx 50dB (6SJ7 triode wired) and there are just two pairs of coupling caps (plus one decoupling cap in the LTP) in the feedback loop.
I had to reduce the value of one of the coupling cap pairs to establish a well-defined dominant pole in the low frequency area.
In the high frequency domain I’ve got ca 60 deg phase margin at 3dB roll off (40kHz). If I increase the forward roll-off in front of the LTP I can have more margins, if needed.

My biggest problem was the OPTs that had some serious resonances at ca 100kHz due to leakage inductance and winding capacitance. The open loop frequency response was not looking promising at all until I put a RC network plate to plate across the KT88s. (you can still see the peaks at 100kHz)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.