• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Tube Center

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive had rather good luck buying from places with relatively austere web sites. I think they may be focused on other things.:cool:

When it comes to finished electronics rather than raw components, flowery prose is to be regarded with suspicion. A words to diagram/graph ratio exceeding 1000:1 is worth a red flag.:D

Not sure who Jack is here - I know the tubecenter as ESRC and I always deal with Stan. I can't recommend Stan highly enough, and I've bought more tubes from him than anyone. He's flexible on prices and since I'm in the UK I prefer to buy a box full which is easier on the shipping charges, so I get bulk discounts as a regular and bulk buyer. This has allowed me to stock up on a lot of stuff I needed. Stan has always been friendly, polite and helpful - he once went through a whole load of tubes to find just a few I wanted with particular plate constructions. Not a word of protest - I've had other dealers telling me to **** off. I've bought a lot of stuff and treated Stan as a friend and he's been great in return. I can't see any reason not to buy from him - in most cases he's beaten other dealers prices on anything, and that's good enough for me. Great stocks too - he's really enthusiastic and still travels a lot to buy stock. One of the unsung heroes of the tube dealers.

I agree; Stan is also a right guy.

Lately I've been getting into finding really good looking obscure devices, scouting the vendors to see which ones are ultra available (and thus cheap, since nobody's using them), and buying bulk, like a nest, so I can get great matched pairs and quads. Stan and Jack is where I got my ridiculous hundreds of 6GK5s, both Mullard and Hitachi. Fortunately, this has turned out to be an utterly awesome audio amplifier, since I now have enough to last to the twenty second century.

I find it interesting how many people describe the 'bay as this nest of snakes; I've met a lot of really good folks there, who have become preferred private vendors.

Aloha Kakou,

Poinz

Jack and his TubeCenter and Stan of ESRC are indeed different places. I have bought tubes from both venodrs at the Orlando hamfest. No problems there, and the deals were good. I have not been to the Tube Centers warehouse, but I have been to Stan's warehouse. There is over 1 million tubes in that building. I make it a point to stop in whenever I am in the area, because you never know what he has laying around in small quantities.

I think Stan got all of Fred, N4TT's (TypeTronics) tubes. I bet Fred had hundreds of thousands of tubes in inventory, maybe more.

There are no telling how many little warehouses full of tubes are still out there. There's a guy here in my town that has about 3000 sq. ft., packed to the rafters, of NOS tubes.

Win W5JAG

At the Orlando hamfest in 2006 I bought some 3B28's from a guy named Jack who was selling in the tailgate area outside. The buisness card in the bag said The TubeCenter Orlando. I saw Stan inside and purchased some tubes. Then I went to the Typetronics table and bought all of Fred's 6AV5GA's for $3 each. I never noticed the address on the TubeCenter card, and of course I can't find it now.

I was at the Orlando hamfest this year, and I talked to Stan, but I didn't notice if the other two people were present.

I have been to Stan's place on Pinecastle blvd. There is a large warehouse with an office space. Stan and his wife are usually there, but I have been there when there was another person running the office. It could have been the person (Jack?) that I met at the hamfest, it was almost a year later, and I wasn't paying attention.

The details are fuzzy to me now, but I recall Stan telling me that he had a partner in Delray Beach, FL (or somewhere in south Florida). As I recall, that business was called “ESRC” (Electron Supply Replacement Center) and Stan’s operation in Orlando went by “ESRC1”. I don’t know if ESRC was run by the “Jack” mentioned here or not. I don’t know if there is still any connection, or even if ESRC exists any more (ESRC1 certainly does). I remember Stan’s father running the business, which he had founded 65 years ago, and when he passed away Stan took it over. The website for Stan that I had bookmarked doesn’t work anymore. Perhaps his busy eBay store has superseded the direct web sales. BTW, the product pictures in the eBay store for The Tube Center look a lot like those in Stan’s eBay store, so I wonder if there is still some connection. I guess I could ask him. In any case, he can be reached at 407-826-5808 (this is a different number than was given above, but I took it right off a fresh price list). His email is "esrc1**at**aol.com". (I’m not affiliated with ESRC1 in any way other than as a friend and a customer).

I was sorry to hear that Fred of Typetronics had passed way (or had become a “silent key” as the hams say). Fred was a fixture at hamfests even into his nineties. The old tube guys are dying off…

Stan used to be in Boynton Beach (on the Delray border) when he shared the business with his father. He moved to Orlando when his father passed. There were too many tubes in that little warehouse and you couldn't find anything. The new place is much more organized.

There was a story about a split between partners circulating on the boatanchors (old military radios) web ring. It even claimed that Stan was out of business, and the web site was dead. Stan said that he had never even heard it.

Stan has someone else doing his web site and when he got a new web person, he got a new web site. The new one is:

http://www.esrcvacuumtubes.com/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.