The toast thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like toast.

Yeah, yeah, I know there's already a food thread, but I'm not sure I want to mix it up with those Cretins - not one of them has even mentioned toast. Not once. Ever.

Besides which, I think toast deserves it's own thread. So... let's hear it from my fellow toast-heads - preparation techniques, favorite toppings (aside from Marmite, of course) etc.

Thank God for another fellow traveller...!

Memories of very thick toast cut from the loaf and prepared on our open fire at home as kids.....heaven.

I have given this a lot of thought over the years and I have come to the conclusion that one needs to view toast, as not so much an end in itself, but as a conveyance. When you come down to "the end game" what toast does best, and obviously with greater structural integrity and thermal energy than bread, is convey butter and various spreads to the mouth.

I am not a Marmite person although I have seen it. In Oz we have our own indigenous yeast based spread called Vegemite. My wife on the other hand is a Promite person. Similar I believe.

I must admit that my usual robust toast consuming is taking a serious hit lately for two reasons.
(A) While I am not cealiac (or however you spell it!) I have worked out empirically that I do get less PBS (Porridge Brain Syndrome) when I am off the gluten. I just think more clearly. I do "indulge" occasionally but it is a great trial.

(B) Secondly the MEDICAL PROFESSION. I am at that age where my GP measures my waist line these days.......something to do with my future cardiac health apparently. Hence I am limiting fructose intake. You would not believe what contains fructose....... turns out 90% of things I like. Including honey apparently. Here I was thinking honey was a "safe" substitute for strawberry jam but NO. So toast consumption has entered a new experimental phase with a number of boutique gluten free breads being tried, with some degree of success I might add.
The spread question remains sadly unresolved however. Any ideas?

All the best. Cheers, Jonathan

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
All right then - I'll start things off with a "simple" sample. Whole wheat toast - well done and crisp, but not burnt. Open faced with peanut butter and jelly or jam of choice. :yummy:

Offffffff course some nice homemade bread would be even better!

I'll avoid the health aspects for now - I don't eat this very often - perhaps a couple of times a month for a snack. :cool:

I think it's the way homemade bread caramelizes in the toaster... no store-bought slice can touch it. Store bought raisin bread toast (with butter again) is pretty darned good. (this is diyAudio, so I'm inclined to admit I have no supporting data:)) I'm old enough to remember Koogle, so I guess I'm somewhat turned off by anything other than plain PB, butter, raw honey, or good jam or jelly. I have some homemade jam in the fridge now.
A toast to toast.

addendum: I had to go look up Koogle. From Wikipedia:
"Many of Koogle's TV commercials featured the product's mascot, an oversized puppet costume in the abstract form of a giant jar with spinning eyeballs, frog-like arms and legs, and a "jive" voice similar to that of then-popular radio disc jockey Wolfman Jack."
ROTFL
Yep, 'nuff said.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ya, I prefer my toast raw, I forget the name for it right now...

I certainly like my peanet butter on rye bread.

Just had a pair of whole wheat toast* with butter honey & lots of cinnamon... yummy

*(i usually prefer whole rooter bread/toast but WW is as far as we have progressed the godson)

One of my favorites is heavy black rye with left over beef stroganoff on it. Looks like chocolate cake with puke, but boy does it tast good... oh that's not toast (but toasting black bread doesn't do much)

dave

Surely you remember Talkie Toaster on Red Dwarf?

I've been disgusted with most of the local supermarket bread for quite a while. Rye toast is still good, but what I really liked was Monk's Bread toast from back before they changed the recipe. I don't know what the problem with modern bread is, maybe too much whole grain, fiber and sawdust, but homemade is the way to go. And, as long as we're talking toast, let's not forget garlic toast! Mmmmmm.

My own guilty pleasure - peanut butter and apricot jam (/jelly) :eek: ... never quite sure if that's socially acceptable, or best left to the kind if perverts who prefer their bread unroasted.

Speakin of which...
Ya, I prefer my toast raw, I forget the name for it right now...
Back to the "Food" thread with ya, Cal. Back, back I say!!! :whip:

See, this is just the kind of thing I was trying to avoid.

rye bread.

the only one that deserves the name BREAD.
Anything that you can knead and it springs back into its original form ain't what you think it is. I grew up in Germany, where the only decent bread is baked...The inhabitants of Britain and the NA continent know about bread as much as they know about beer...

Ps - the best toast is rye bread covered with raw buffalo burger sprinkled with finely chopped onions, a little salt and pepper.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.