The Sweet Spot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So I understand how distortion cancellation with triode like devices work. But:
How could it work with pentode like ones? The transfer
curve of a pentode looks different to me - or is there an
exponential slope in the tail that works for it??

It doesn't require an exponential slope - just a slope that
rises with Plate voltage. You will notice the the Pentode
has a more linear characteristic to the slope than a triode,
and this is true of many of the solid state devices. Having
a degenerating resistor on the Cathode, Source or Plate
will help to get a better cancellation on this. For that
matter, if you have degeneration on a triode, it might be
helpful to use some Plate resistance.

:cool:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If I am not mistaken reading the sweet spot article, as mentioned by Nelson, the valve/tube designers knew about this in the earlier 1930's by applying the Load Line Technique to obtain the minimum distortion and obtain the maximum output swing from the anode for a common cathode tube configuration.

And they seem to have forgotten about it when transistors
arrived.

Nelson, degeneration on a triode means: The slope is not so fast rising as an exponential - correct?

But what I don't understand: If one slope is exponential, it requires another exponential to cancel, otherwiese the fourier transform would give differing terms that could not cancel... So pentodes give no perfect cancelation, only some forier terms are extinquished.

Wouldn't it be better to use a non resistive load for a pentode like element that provides fourierer terms in its behavior to cancel pentode terms???

BTW: Very instructive article. I always thougt, only 2 stages, one after the other could provide distortion cancellation...

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Degeneration on a triode means that you would be adding
a linear term to the curve, and it would not rise so fast.

There is no such thing as perfect cancellation - you take
advantage of what you are given. As long as the slopes
are in the same direction, you can get some cancellation,
it only remains to tweak the parameters to maximize this
(if you want to).

You can always load a gain device with another gain device
to try for distortion reduction. A mu follower would be a possible
example.

Lastly, you can indeed try for a sweet spot between successive
stages.

Just saw the Design & Construction of a "Beginner Amp" presentation listed in BA 09. This one two punch approach (presentation + the paper) is certainly a nice surprise. Papa always deliver in abandance for our asks.

Thanks Nelson for everything!

Stanley

After reading the J2 thread and "sweet spot", I ask myself, if the 2 resistors in the J2 (where output signal is drawn) are choosen for lowest distortion. So in the end it's optimised for a special drive impedance - if we look for perfects results, we should flatten the loadspeakers impedance or add reactiove elements additionally to the resistive ones in the output stage to allow low distortion all over the frequency band...

Is impedance flattening of the speaker a "MUST" for the J2 output stage???

(Sorry for my silly questions, it's so damn interesting...)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
After reading the J2 thread and
"sweet spot", I ask myself, if the 2 resistors in the J2 (where
output signal is drawn) are choosen for lowest distortion. So
in the end it's optimised for a special drive impedance - if we
look for perfects results, we should flatten the loadspeakers
impedance or add reactiove elements additionally to the
resistive ones in the output stage to allow low distortion all
over the frequency band...

Is impedance flattening of the speaker a "MUST" for the J2
output stage???

The J2 derives its output impedance from feedback, so
flattening the speaker's impedance is not essential. The mu
follower is not optimized against impedance, it is optimized
for a current ratio between the gain device on the negative
side and the current source on the top side.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I imagine the circuit is optimized so the FETs run in the sweet spot for speakers which are "tube friendly" as specified in the manual. I guess a very difficult load may make the output stage run out of the sweet spot.

The sweet spot article is not about the J2 per se. The J2 is
not designed around low impedance or low efficiency
speakers, and prefers the kind of speakers you would
normally associate with a 25 watt amplifier.

Thanks for the article Mr. Pass.

Instead of my habbit of buying more expensive/exotic parts I should look at tweaking the values to take things to the next level. Can those with more experience recommend newb/budget gear? I did a search on ebay for distortion analyzer and oscilloscope and turned up a bewildering amount of items. What features should I be looking for?

Thanks

Garrett

Just a quick thank you (I think) to Mr. Pass for another great article. Of course, with him showing once again that things aren't as easy as "this one is the best" the whole thing becomes ever more complicated.

What you mean it not just right or wrong?! There's shades of gray in between!!!;)

Hopefully when it's done, there's more than shades of gray, one hopes the image is in technicolor!:):)

Peace,

Dave

Enjoyed the article, thank you.

Had a thought, how about plotting the 'Sweet spot' for the common devices used, VGS against ID, that way we could start with building blocks near enough optimized, especially useful for those of us that don't own a distortion/spectrum analyzer. It could be called the NP curve/trace.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.