The Supernova! (a full range flooder line source)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh, ok. You were saying don't start this discussion :) haha.
When I say mono, I mean when both stereo speakers play the same bass and mid-bass frequencies.

"Center" doesn't have to be forward and physically large, and there are any number of reasons why this might occur that have nothing to do with combing. In fact, any significant combing *artifacts* would be well into mid.s and upper mid.s (depending on loudspeaker separation).

As a test you could always try a 2 channel setup where you have experienced this problem before, and then "cut" the response above 400 Hz and see if it's still a problem. If it is, it's not an artifact from combing (..provided the loudspeakers aren't too far apart).

"Center" doesn't have to be forward and physically large, and there are any number of reasons why this might occur that have nothing to do with combing. In fact, any significant combing *artifacts* would be well into mid.s and upper mid.s (depending on loudspeaker separation).

As a test you could always try a 2 channel setup where you have experienced this problem before, and then "cut" the response above 400 Hz and see if it's still a problem. If it is, it's not an artifact from combing (..provided the loudspeakers aren't too far apart).

Yes, the reason you get a boost at lower frequencies is because the wavelengths get larger and larger, they wrap around the head and hit both ears where as in the stereo triangle, the higher the signal is in frequency, the less the sound wraps around the head and only hits 1 ear.
So there is a mismatch in amplitude. The transition where ILD is dominate is around 700Hz.

The labyrinth......

20121130_112825.jpg

Well, aperiodic means without period.
The line will be stuffed to max capacity, with the vents on the top a bottom.
This is to insure the back wave will not return to the drivers.....(or as little as possible)
What will come out of the vents will be so attenuated and low in frequency that there should be no cancellation or reinforcement with the front wave.
Especially when I'm not going to boost the low end. The low end BW will be the Fb of the drivers, around 150Hz or so. (I'm using stereo subs).

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanx brother!
It's not too hard to build. The only hard part is keeping the cuts perfect. If you are even 1/2 a millimeter off, it's screwed because of the length of the cuts.
I have to wait for a week to cap the ends....I didn't have enough foam so it's being shipped to me :(

Cannibalize some old pillows like I did.:D Do you have to use foam vs polyester fill?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.