The Spheres 2.0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With the tweeter I'd aim to bring it closer so you can't see that little block that connects, and use a dowell or two as well, which might be easier as you merely have to drill some holes. If you pick the right point, then you can do it so that the connection is barely seen.

If you have a lower xo point and use notch filters if required you have more options with drivers.

I had looked at the VIFA MG10SD09-08, and it seems like a great driver, but at $45 each, its a tad expensive. Maybe, but don't count on it :D

Also the real limiting factor here is that originally I went with the idea of making a tweeter assembly out of this, so the baffle is only ~4.5". However most (many) 3.5" drivers have 4 5/8" faceplates. Which would cause some hangover....I'm sure I could do some resin work or just leave it with hangover, but I'm really satisfied with the Tang Band (881S) so far. I could also consider that ever popular W3-871 that everyone raves about. The Vifa TC 3" would also fit, but not sure how it would stack up to the TB.

As far as the tweeter stand off, it has that block built into the tweeter assemblie. Although bringing it closer in would be cool, sanding the main enclosure down after the fact is not something I really want to do....although it would give me a good reason to finally buy a rotary tool :rolleyes:

I'm not even sure how long this is going to take to do this project...I mean with all the cost...I'm thinking Christmas would be a good estimate. I'm only making one nacelle at a time and I'm on the first one still....then I got to figure out the crossover stuff. I'm thinking definently active, so then I have to build those electronics, and associated amps (luckily I have two of BrianGT's kits sitting around somewhere). And then I gotta do something about the bass. And at the same time I'm paying for a bunch of "new house" stuff, plus the holidays...and my wife wondering why I flip though the PE catalog everyday before bed, and when I show her my pictures, she says "does this mean your gonna order tweeters now???" :D :D

I'm thinking maybe since I could do a 200Hz or so crossover, maybe doing some Aluminum woofers...multiples for efficiency. But two 10" or or 1 12" would be equally as well. I think something like a Titanic is out of the Q due to $$$, but a HiVi M8N, or a good 8"/10" Peerless or Vifa maybe possible.

As far as crossing over so high, I'm not sure of the exact capabilities of the HiVi unit, so I'll start there. If I do active, its just a matter of swapping out some resistors, so certainly no big deal for experimenting.

I hope the real thing turns out 1/2 as good as that rendering did :up:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.