The speed of light is NOT constant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I will ask someone at NASA who has a tube hi fi ( Garrard 301 / Heath ? Quad 57's ) . If it isn't classified he might say . Seems logical it would have some use .

I wasn't offended popilin , how kind of you to be so polite . I do suspect the cosmic rays might be OK . So hard to know . I know Russian fighters had a preference for tubes exactly because with some radiation they work better than transistors ( probably an urban myth ).

That triode idea is not so daft . On the Moon it might have a use . If it is affected it is time to go to the lead lined shelter . That's another Moon problem . Why weren't they killed by solar wind or whatever ? I was told they were lucky . I am told the water tank in the space station is useful for that . However above the magnetosphere there is no protection .

One could be very cynical and say if all this evidence does point anywhere then Apollo 13 was a stunt . Again I very much doubt the USSR could keep silent . If it all is a piece of theater then No 13 seems the one to choose . Apparently the Apollo missions were boring people by then .

13 I am told was unlucky for the Knights Templar ( defeated on Friday 13 I was told ) . Maybe ?

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip] I know Russian fighters had a preference for tubes exactly because with some radiation they work better than transistors ( probably an urban myth ). [snip]

No urban myth. Think high-altitude nuclear burst. No physical damage to speak of but any transistor, chip, radio, radar (!), missile system etc out of order.
If the equipment had tubes it would have a much greater chance to survive and/or recover.

Although I don't think that it was the reason they used tubes in those Migs - rather that they found it easier and more reliable to use tried technology instead of solid state technology that wasn't so well developed at the time on their side of the fence.

The EMI robustness was a bonus, but there were horror stories around that they deliberately did it so they could kill us with a high-altitude burst. THAT part is urban lore. Don't forget that these were the times when general NATO doctrine was that in order to save Germany they'd have to destroy it.

jan

No urban myth. Think high-altitude nuclear burst. No physical damage to speak of but any transistor, chip, radio, radar (!), missile system etc out of order.
If the equipment had tubes it would have a much greater chance to survive and/or recover.

Although I don't think that it was the reason they used tubes in those Migs - rather that they found it easier and more reliable to use tried technology instead of solid state technology that wasn't so well developed at the time on their side of the fence.

The EMI robustness was a bonus, but there were horror stories around that they deliberately did it so they could kill us with a high-altitude burst. THAT part is urban lore. Don't forget that these were the times when general NATO doctrine was that in order to save Germany they'd have to destroy it.

I was a student of Tomsk Institute of Automated Control Systems and Radio Electronics when that officer defeated and landed Mig-25 in Japan. There was secondary compulsory education in Soviet Union; all students of Universities and Institutes were taught once a week in a military department in atmosphere of secrecy. We particularly studied mobile anti-aircraft defense system. It was vacuum tube based, and professors (high ranked military officers) taught us that it was made on purpose since tubes are more immune to radiation than semiconductors, but we believed that the reason was, the system was obsolete. And when that Mig-25 landed in Japan, they said that it is lucky coincidence that that particular jet-fighter had obsolete electronics on board, so new state of the art electronics was not exposed.

I remember that when it happened . Colin Welford a friend said that the US press were laughing ( Colin was sales director of Logic turntables ) . It was made of steel and had vacuum tubes . Apparently someone stood up and said about the tubes . Also he said . OK it will not have the performance of US fighter . Namely have enough weight to fuel ratio to return to base if going to the UK . The USSR fighter is made for one job , to fight . Also 20 can be built for the price of one US aircraft . I think I was told on absolute performance the Soviet was better ( speed, climb , turn ) . It would only fly 800 kM and the US 2400 km . I know Pierre Spray who worked with the US stuff ( test pilot ) . He is a hi fi fanatic and makes Audiophile CD's . He loves Maple and brass to be used in hi fi .

Last edited:
Cool, ever had any magnet accidents? In class Herman Haus used to enjoy sending metal disks to (and sometimes through) the ceiling with a huge electromagnet. He invited me to put my hand over it to see if I felt anything, and I not he noticed I was wearing a ring.

We dropped an 11 ton magnet 5 feet to the floor when a sling ripped. The chafing protector was insufficient for the load. Because there were two slings, the overhead crane was tossed a few feet to the side, along with the building.

But nothing like LHC. That accident leapfrogged a 55 ton magnet over another 55 ton magnet. The force of the accident damaged magnets about half a kilometer in each direction IIRC.

I was told of a nitrogen bottle that was pulled into one here, but that was before my time. As was a 500 liter helium dewar.

Nowadays, the worst we've done is toast a coil during test.

jn

I was a student of Tomsk Institute of Automated Control Systems and Radio Electronics when that officer defeated and landed Mig-25 in Japan. There was secondary compulsory education in Soviet Union; all students of Universities and Institutes were taught once a week in a military department in atmosphere of secrecy. We particularly studied mobile anti-aircraft defense system. It was vacuum tube based, and professors (high ranked military officers) taught us that it was made on purpose since tubes are more immune to radiation than semiconductors, but we believed that the reason was, the system was obsolete. And when that Mig-25 landed in Japan, they said that it is lucky coincidence that that particular jet-fighter had obsolete electronics on board, so new state of the art electronics was not exposed.

Ha, Russian ingenuity, which for them is "obsolete" the world is able to pay millions...;)

By chance, do you have an "obsolete circuit" lost between your papers?:D

That tubes are (more) immune to an EMP is basic physics. A wire (such as an antenna) in an EMP will send a large voltage/current pulse into whatever circuitry it's connected to. A tube is physically large and so has a relatively large themal mass, it already operates at high temperature when it's on, so a pulse of a specific amount of energy may heat it up but not destroy it. A transistor, on the other hand, is a very small piece of silicon that's liable to turn liquid or even vaporize when the same size pulse of energy is put into it.

Ha, Russian ingenuity, which for them is "obsolete" the world is able to pay millions...;)

By chance, do you have an "obsolete circuit" lost between your papers?:D

My obsolete circuits are solid state only. :D

Most obsolete ones use opamps. :)

Here is one of variations: a guy designed an amp using my obsolete output stage. You can try it in your hybrid.

Attachments

• preview_aml_nuclon.GIF.jpeg
    preview_aml_nuclon.GIF.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 73
You are welcome Popilin; actually it is a complimentary opamp with 100% feedback. Pairs of transistors ad diodes represent LTPs, oher pairs represent current mirrors. Diodes and resistors to ground in tails shorten them for class AB transition while an opposite side still goes in class A. That means, no phase distortions caused by switching off like in traditional class AB amps. Also, it has auto-protection against overcurrent: when load impedance decreases below threshold it gradually goes from voltage follower mode to current limiting mode.
Looks simple, but quite tricky in adjustment, that's why I abandoned it. For high end it is fine since devices can be pre-selected and values of resistors adjusted, but when I designed it I worked on thick film IC (end of 70'th) that as I assumed would be too costly. I was wrong, such high-end ICs could be quite handy.

Deleting duplicate: IP V6 cause worldwide troubles... Looks like Google have some troubles wit it...

Yup. Still has some major security issues, but what are ya gonna do? We flat ran out of addresses. Who would have thought every toaster and light bulb would need an address, and who ever thought they would not be on 10-10 subnets? Why do I need to log into a florescent light bulb in a building on the other side of the world to see it is 7% dimmer than it was new?

We dropped an 11 ton magnet 5 feet to the floor when a sling ripped. The chafing protector was insufficient for the load. Because there were two slings, the overhead crane was tossed a few feet to the side, along with the building.

But nothing like LHC. That accident leapfrogged a 55 ton magnet over another 55 ton magnet. The force of the accident damaged magnets about half a kilometer in each direction IIRC.

I was told of a nitrogen bottle that was pulled into one here, but that was before my time. As was a 500 liter helium dewar.

Nowadays, the worst we've done is toast a coil during test.

jn

When I toured the ALS at UCB they described what would happen if someone left a screwdriver on the floor. It really is hard for us normal people to understand what disproportional force really is all about. I used to complain because my credit cards kept getting degaussed when I worked about large motors. Trivial. To be taken serious. We had issues with cancer from working next to tape degaussiing machines. It seems people don't like strong fields either.

Sure, if you had an old tube tuner, it would work after an EMP. Too bad there would be no power grid or transmitter to use it with.

Accidents with Magnets . I think I said it before . One day when building a gradient coil there was the mother of all explosions so I thought . Lightning had struck the building . In such moments the gigantic structures suggests something like a nuclear power station . It took me a moment to say to myself nothing we had should explode like that . It was fantastic and worth repeating . I was Tesla for a moment .

Status
Not open for further replies.