The speed of light is NOT constant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try reading better next time- that website is in Munich. Gehrke was a close associate of Lenard, published antisemitic tracts, and was active in purging Judenphysik from Germany. His hatred of Einstein and Jews was legendary, possibly because his own career was so minor. I have to admit that reading this stuff in German is a bit unnerving.

There are crank sites in many countries, Israel included. You can keep digging them up without any basic understanding of the physics to see why they're ludicrous (or don't say what you claim they say), but relativity continues to work.

How old are they?

Since at the speed of light time comes to a complete halt, they all have the same age...zero.

They are as old as they were the moment they were created; since their creation, no time has passed in the photon's frame. Whether they come from the Moon, the Sun or Alpha Centauri, they are all equally old. Zero, that is, if you believe that Einstein dude.

vac

The 'age' of photons might not be well known to the general public, but I don't think it has been "suppressed". The anomalous magnetic moment of the muon is not that well known to people in my local market either, partly because you need years of physics education to understand the question and an extra year or two to be able to understand the answer, but it has not been suppressed either. The information is freely available.

They can't because of the class of particles they are. If they traveled faster than c, we wouldn't be able to detect them. If we plug higher-than-c velocities into the Lorentz equations, we get imaginary masses and lengths/times, which are not amenable to physical interpretation at our current state of knowledge.

Are you talking about quantum entanglement? Very mysterious, but not necessarily a violation of SR.

Neutrinos have a small but non-zero mass so they ought to travel very slightly slower than the speed of light. The most likely explanation for the apparent slightly faster than light speed is an experimental error. If this result is confirmed though, elementary particle physics will suddenly get very interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.