The smell of vintage electronics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Every morning when I open my office door, I take a deep breath in and enjoy the wonderful aroma of vintage electronics.

It's just dawned on me however, that I don't actually know what that smell is ... and whether it may actually be doing me harm as I sit in my office all day with a dozen or so vintage amps and tuners.

I can definitely smell it every morning when I walk into my office though, quite pleasant and unseemingly dangerous ... BUT WHAT IS IT I CAN SMELL?!?

(These are all solid state components built in the seventies, Sansui, Mitsubishi, Dynaco etc., nothing older than early seventies and nothing newer than early eighties.)

Should I be mindful of this or am I just being paranoid?

I too love that smell. My dad used to have a big 'electrical drawer' filled mostly with stuff he 'acquired' from the military back in the 40-50's. I loved to open that drawer and breathe deeply. I think a major component of the smell is the shellac (varnish?) used for moisture protection on transformers, coils and just about everything else. Early plastics would out-gas alot, too. Thanks for that trip down Memory Lane!

Dangerous? Probably not. Look at me...I turned out normal...NOT!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.