The Singing Bush

The small donuts are 20VA each. 🙂

So, the idea is to fuse each 1000VA donut with 4A fuses on the primary, and 0,1A fuses for each of the small 20VA ones.

And i am planning to load them down and test them, when they are fully built, before connecting them to the amplifiers at all.

But i just want to check if it all sounds reasonable with the fuses, since all the info that i can find about it on the internet is not to be trusted. 🙂 And i am unsure about the what the peak demand of the small donuts actually are in the startup of the amplifiers.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
100mA it is, slow start

piccolo size, no rush-in currents

if you insist, for better sleep - you can up to 125mA or even 160mA - both will go if something wrong

full blast approach could be relay (faaat one) powered with small Donut PSU, firing up mains side of big Donut

or, even better - but Mighty didn't tried big ones so can't say is it Kosher or not - proper Solid State relay for big Donut mains, powered with small Donut PSU

no biasing voltage, no juice in main rail

Reactions: 1 user
Right now I am thinking relay with CL60 inrush brakes for each of the bigger donuts. Controlled from the gate voltage donuts regulated voltage. Because a power surge on the primary, say a little lightning and thunder, that could easily kill the 100mA fuses long before the 4A fuses closes down the show, and leaves the building. With or without smoke. Just Like Elvis did.

🙂

Last edited:
Okey, SS it will be.

🙂
I asked Leo the AI this question:

IMG_5918.jpeg

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
in case of any dilemma, just buzz

in principle, all you need is one diode and one resistor, feeding SS Relay LED side from AUX/Bias PSU of Singing Bush

so, just route regulated voltage to SS relay trigger side and that's it

mains side of SS Relay feeding Big Donut

during power up, reg voltage is established fast; during power off, reg voltage is lasting much longer than juice in big cap bank

I used them many years back in time. A big advantage is that they turn-on when the mains crosses zero. So a more gently built-up of the current.
A disadvantage is that there is always a little bit voltage drop at mains side (compared to a good mechanical contact).
My LSB's use external SMPS's. Those also have a soft start circuit. It is a combination of a "CL-60 like NTC" and then a mechanical relay. The mechanical relay will short the NTC when it has done the job. Then no voltage drop or burning of energy during operation in NTC and the NTC will cool down so ready for a "re-trigger" if suddenly drop-out of mains voltage. In principle the mechanical relay could be turned on at same same as the PSU as there will be a short "natural" delay from the relay solenoid gets voltage to the contacts closes (from memory the SMPS just use a parallel capacitor on solenoid voltage to have a short extra delay). When NTC has taken the big inrush the contacts of the relay will have an easy job (not burned by the large inrush current).

Yea, there is always various compromises to be made. Part of the fun. 🙂

SMPS vs. Linear
Mechanical vs. SS
NTC vs. Hard Copper Wire 😎

In my Aleph J:s i gain 1 volt in total over the positive and negative rails, on the secondery by bypassing the CL60s with a manual switch after startup. While the switch still is fresh…

Well. Is it worth it? For one volt? Maby. Anyways. Its fun. 🙂