The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Whatever, DN2540 is the most popular, is Gfs 325 mmho for instance. Just because so easy to cascode with minimum parts, its very tempting to design like that in an HV CCS. But I say that the IRFBC with the help of a cascode tailed scheme governing its gate could do better. And yes TO-247 is a very nice big package, and you can drive your metal screw with using only a pad. But this good guy is 220.

IRFBC40 2.60 EUR

IRFP9240 2.13 EUR

Hey, 0.668 Euro is one Dollar and still $1.5? Unfair!:D

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
It's a mad mad world

mouser probably gives higher prices to the rich folks. :rolleyes:

Dig the price below, in CDN currency, no less :D

Still, I get them at 20c or so. :treasure: I told you, perfect for burning prototypes :rofl:

Yeah, the depletion mosfets have their place too but for now, I'll only use them as "high voltage jfets" in ccs.

Attachments

• irfbc40-price.png
    irfbc40-price.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 825
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Now I look at the curves better, I see that up to 1A that we use them and especially around 200-300mA, the 9240 was a very nice choice for being in my drawer and accessible in all downtown shops all the time. Cool. I use 9140 now. Even better for such common a part. Ooops! Ricardo is off to the shop still wearing his pyjamas.:D

I am going out now.... IRFP9140 is it then ?

I didn't expected the riaa to benefit so much from lower output impedance, which is what I think happens when you increase the current limit.

Vertical Mosfets gain gm and linearity the harder they run. Why? More gm. I use 9140 now, even better.

It's resembling the ECC88/6DJ8 on higher current, which sounds dull on recommended settings :) What's the news, replacing IRF9240 by IRF941O?

The higher transconductance obtained with one regulator counteracts the effects of having several regulators. Spilling 300mA at 25V gives 7.5W heat, just tolerable in a compact casing I guess.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.