The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Only if it has a fan. You are about to burn 2.5A at 12V, I.e. 30W. For the T Amp there is no high constant bias that it burns it so to take the burden off the shunt, like a class A amp with big idle bias and chunky shinks does. It only burns dynamically from it when it plays. The shunt will be getting less heat the stronger the amp plays. When the T Amp idles, the shunt gets it all. You will need a 0.5C per W heatsink.

Hi all and I wish not to get any answer because you are all at vacations :)
For some months now, a pair of salas shunts have replaced batteries in my line amp with spectacular results. In order to clean up the mesh and close the chassis I would like your opinion on this.

The line stage consists of a opa627 buffer, a volume control and an opa627 output stage.

Now the shunts go where the batteries before them. That means per chanell per rail

- a small inductor
- 1000 uF
- and then to each chip with 1R/47uF on chip's rail pin

Should I leave it like this or remove inductor + 1000uF ?

Marinos said:
a pair of salas shunts have replaced batteries in my line amp with spectacular results.........................
- a small inductor
- 1000 uF
- and then to each chip with 1R/47uF on chip's rail pin

Hi,
if the inductor version sounds spectacular, then why change it?

Only you can experiment and find out whether removing the inductor can make it more or less spectacular.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Marinos said:

Its OK as it is, although a coil smooths it up high just a bit, does not alter it, we had experiments, it is still perceptibly positive, if before the shunt. After the shunt it messes with its low output impedance. I don't know if it helps the chips more than what an impedance alteration can do as harm. Bypass and listen, compare.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Tham, I suspect too much current being drawn. Measure the current drawn especially at 1) first resistor before the first series mosfet, 2) shunt mosfet, 3) load. For 2) and 3) I usually put a small resistor (0R2, 0R1 etc.) and measure the voltage across it.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not under the zener because of higher pinch off than 170BL. They will suffocate under Vbe. All other places yes. No changes. But you can add a 220R from BC550's emitter to ground. That will give space for -2.5V pinch off devices if BC550's collector load is a 8.5mA Idss Jfet. Your Vout becomes Vz+2.5V then. If your 6-9mA Idss 246s that are better to be applied here, have higher than -2V pinch off you scale the resistor higher and your Vout goes up accordingly. You rethink of Vz. And you must not squeeze the voltage across the BC550 too much. Say no less than 8V across or not less than double shunt Vgs in other words.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.