The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This has probably been answered a million times before, but what is the output impedance of the SSHV2, and how long can the output wiring be before the performance starts deteriorating? The reason I'm asking is that I have a SSHV2 -15 V supply on my 1541A DAC that I would prefer to move some distance away from the DAC Board if possible (I'm already using a small decoupling capacitor on the chip).

This has probably been answered a million times before, but what is the output impedance of the SSHV2, and how long can the output wiring be before the performance starts deteriorating? The reason I'm asking is that I have a SSHV2 -15 V supply on my 1541A DAC that I would prefer to move some distance away from the DAC Board if possible (I'm already using a small decoupling capacitor on the chip).

The questions is of course regarding the SSLV and NOT SSHV2 (No idea why I wrote that).

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its heavily dependent on spare shunt current allowed and if BJT or MOSFET output type.

Near to 1 mΩ in the passband can be typical if with MOSFET output and 200mA spare.

There is no sure max length. It depends on the load and RFI. Takes to scope and see if its all well in a system. If in doubt, use two wire mode not to expose the sense and don't add more than 10mΩ in copper resistance for two wire mode I would say. Heavy gauge wire can help.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Spoked with Domenico (Amanero owner) to know what's the output impedance and he said 50 ohms so I changed the 4th order LP filter made by abraxalito to have 50 ohms in place of 195 ohms, once changed the Amandero exploited, spoked again with Dom and now he said "la scheda non ha il PCB con l'impedenza controllata quindi è possibile che abbia valori differenti": PCB without controlled impedance so can be different values. "Appena posso misuro l'impedenza di più schede per vedere se ci sono differenze notevoli" asap I can measure the impedance in more PCB to see if there is remarkable differences.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.