The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It ups the current in the mirror and Vref also drops the OLG. Its just what Kazuo liked in his and brings same current as when having IRF640 normal threshold MOSFET. MTP3055VL will be under 2Vth. The current in Q4 is what the load spares from what the CCS provides. If you want more you rev up the main CCS by tweaking R1.

I want to use dale cmf on reflektor for R2,R3,R5 and R6.
R2 , R5 (150ohm) are already in the basket and R3 (243ohm) too, for R3 I have had uppered the value a little as you recommended.
now my problem are R1 and R4 ..
I don`t manage to find anything close to 1.5-2 ohm(for 0.32-0.43mA) from dale cmf for R1.I would like to go with 1.5R but what type of resistor would do fine here?

as for R4 still remains 500R ?
I will have current draws of ~ 50 and ~130mA

Last edited:
the reading I did this last weekend drive me nuts :)
I think it`s enough with the reading...I have to start building

wanted to change my amp resistors too, actually rn55d with non magnetic cmf ones but after I asked my mentor here on this forum changed my mind ..
now after the things you sayid I think I will stick to normal cmf`s for my ps`s.
thank you guys for you existence and the help you give here on the forum, really apreciated

wish you a very nice week

Last edited:
I saw at ampslab that they also have low noise bjt`s Original Small Signal Audio Bipolar Transistors - Buy OnLine @ AmpsLab

which low noise pnp type do you reccomend in place of 2N4403?
I saw Kon`s last schematics for the reflektor and I too would like to try what he did
would like to use a complementary low noise pair from ampslab(if there is one that matches for my requirements) so in this way I will have a spare for future projects too

the k170 he uses is bl and k117 is gr right?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
2N4403 have noise performance in par with 2SA970 keep in mind. That is why I designed around them, a poor man's special and its everywhere to get.

K117 is GR don't use BL anything if not necessary due to stock bcs you will need much IDSS down-regulating resistance that will up its intrinsic noise.

Get a few 2SC2240 & 2SA970 those match well for P-N curves on my tracer. Alas, ampslab has them in BL to GR. So no go. Find some elsewhere. BL if possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.