The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas, built Kazuo Ozawa version (5V) of your reg. A few observations:
1. I am using the reg to power a shunt LDR on my balanced pre-amp. I was not expecting much, given that it's just a shunt. The shunt reg is being fed by a "ALW super reg" which takes raw dc (18V) and down regulates it to 10V. Your shunt reg is then fed the 10V to produce 5V output.
2. I was surprised by the mid-range, which seemed more present/live/real using this reg in this position. I listened till 130am this morning and only went to sleep because I had to be up at 530....
3. Very keen to try the reg with the transport, DAC but....
4. I noticed at start-up that the shunts voltage output would initially spike to around 5.8-5.9V before quickly settling at 5.00V. Is this normal? I do not believe my DAC's can live above 5.5V....
5. Second q: What is the reg doing that makes it sound so good? Is it filtering noise in a way that other regs cannot?
6. Thanks for the circuit, great performer!

Nice news. What output Mosfet did you use for that Reflektor? Any pics?
In my experience they don't jump up at start. Can you see with out the pre-reg? (And also listen without).

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi guys,

I strongly recommend to all SALAS shunt regulator builders to insert a small value resistor between positive output of bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitor. This resistor should drop around 1V and it's value will depend of the designed current value of regulator.

I had used CRC with rather big R (4.7-10R) for pi pre filtering some times, what did you observe with a small one?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas, You pointed out correctly that I was worried before.
Simulation shows that wire loop effects to occur oscillation.

Don't bother much with simulating the loop, just solve it practically to get the soft line with less or no sensitivity to movement and orientation. That nice Tek scope you got will be much faster than theory. Twisting the pair you change a bit and the sim goes off.

Hi Salas, will build a lower Voltage raw DC supply and measure/listen with that. The mosfets are exaclty those used by KAzuo (IRF9610, IRF640). I noticed that the resistor values he uses are very different to those you used in the intial REFLEKTOR.

Salas, why does the reg sound so good?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas, will build a lower Voltage raw DC supply and measure/listen with that. The mosfets are exaclty those used by KAzuo (IRF9610, IRF640). I noticed that the resistor values he uses are very different to those you used in the intial REFLEKTOR.

Salas, why does the reg sound so good?

OK the original Mosfets. We changed some resistors from the beta and in the Zobel we allow some tuning down to taste. The trimmer he had to use lower due to lower voltage region. And he did some YAM combinations for inventory reasons. Not that different.
Sounds good because we love it.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.