The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had read it already, but it doesnt help mee to see the light. Remember I will be integrating the shunt regs into a dac PCB.

The way I understand it, remote sensing is for measuring, and for regulating the error amplifier to compensate for wire distances?

So, in my setup (integrated regs, so hopefully small distances on a single PCB between the regs and the load), should i run 4 parallel tracks (+F, +S, 0F, 0S) over my board, and connect F+ and S+ and the two 0 at my load?

Or should I connect +F and +S a the regulator on my PCB? And 0F and 0S of course..

Or should I only use +F and 0F and only use the S outputs for measuring?

Sorry for my ignorance, I am just really unfamiliar with the concept of remote sensing...

In the schematics you can see the S points and F points. Extend each with PCB tracks so they will meet and close circuit at the consumption and ground nodes you want to serve. F+ & S+ meet at +Volt at load. S0 & F0 meet at 0Volt at load.

Mmmmm....trying to implement this, but obviously this makes a problem when using GND planes.... It makes no sense to me to have 0S and 0F traces (essentially ground traces) running through the ground plane... How to handle this best? What will happen if I just connect 0S and 0F to the ground plane under the reg?

Yes, i have agnd and dgnd planes coupled at some point. My question was more related to the fact the my salas shunt reg will be placed in an area where there is a gnd plane running. It feels a Wrong to have s0 and f0 traces running through the ground plane and then connecting to it near the chip after running an inch or so as traces. Sort of counteracts the logic of using a ground plane in the first place (shortest current loop).

Yes, i have agnd and dgnd planes coupled at some point. My question was more related to the fact the my salas shunt reg will be placed in an area where there is a gnd plane running. It feels a Wrong to have s0 and f0 traces running through the ground plane and then connecting to it near the chip after running an inch or so as traces. Sort of counteracts the logic of using a ground plane in the first place (shortest current loop).

Why is that ? there is little current in the sense wires, and they are not really part of the Ground, .... your ground plane still makes sense for the "real" ground currents.

This is the very principle of the sense circuit actually...

To simplify the principle: your connecting wires have a non null impedance, which the shunt reg does not know (the active device/circuit regulates the voltage it sees at its pins,...).
Because there is a significant current running in the wires , it can affect the voltage regulation at the load (U=R.I so Voltage drop in the wires can be significant).....
The sense wires bare very little current, so the voltage loss across them is negligible, and you measure very accurately the voltage at the load. (~ like separating the wires that carry the current to the load from the ones that measure the voltage )
This is especially useful if you are running several feet of wire between your reg and your load.
If your load is close to the Reg, I would not lose sleep over it though, and you may even ignore the sensing circuit (pay attention, though, you MUST connect the sense wires somewhere, but it can be on the Reg PCB directly, or at the regulator terminals... ). What I did in my Pcb is put an optional jumper that I can close if I don't want to bother with 4 wires

For your ground plane, don't worry too much anyway.. for this particular circuit, I don't think it's very critical (and I don't think the BiB or DCB1 are using one, and they're working perfectly well with lots of happy users )

Fred

Last edited:
the regulator has a "normal operational window".
It should be designed to allow good quality sound to be reproduced while in this "normal operation.

However the regulator can be expected to occasionally operate in exceptional conditions. Two examples: shorted output ! maximum input mains voltage.
These conditions can occur and I would expect my design to survive these incidents.

I would expect a manufacturer to replace equipment that failed to survive such incidents.

One of the beauties of a CCS Shunt regulator is that, designed properly, it is destruction proof.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.