The relationship between Language and Thought

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~snip~~~~~~~~~~~~
A friend once told me that English is so limiting (in terms of communicating an exact collection of thoughts) compared to the other languages she speaks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A clear window is a language that conveys every nuance of our thoughts. A murky window gives an unclear, ambiguous message.

Well, it made sense when I wrote it.

Chris

Chris,

The nature of English grammer is such that identifying relationships, etc., is left hanging a bit. OTOH, English has the largest vocabulary of any language with German coming in second, with about half the number of words.

The advantage to this, is that an enhanced vocabulary does allow a variety of nuances to be expressed through the choice of the words used.

Best Regards,
TerryO

When I read German I usually read it more or less directly into English as best I can, because I have trouble understanding written German without it being translated into English. I can understand spoken German better, though, when I hear it and when I speak it myself, as long as I know the words being spoken. Verstehts?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.