• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Red Light District - another PP EL84 amp

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here is poobah's text as rendered by my default TextEdit font. (i just had to change the text encoding to see the text is Japanese -- i had to cut & past it into TextEdit to make it big.

Is it 98 or 86 LEDs?

I have my 98 laid out, but this is much more interesting (harder to wire no doubt)

dave

Attachments

• kanji-rld.gif
    kanji-rld.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 2,719
It just gets better and better. Don't we have work to do?

My symbol shows the forth leg of the second symbol as concave down.

Planet 10's symbol shows the forth leg as concave up.

Could P 10's symbol mean, "going to"; and my symbol mean, "just been"? Speaking of the district, that is.

:confused:

Mhmm...the array works like a voltage source with low impedance from cathodes to gnd.

Good for recovery time indeed, but with this approach there is no way to set equal dc current in the OT primaries (which I suppose to be a good thing…).

Stuart, what do you think about the possibility of a mixed solution for the bias? I mean something like 6.8/8.5V from the array (four/five leds in series) and the remaining 5/3.5V with fixed bias, just to balance the dc currents…

Mark

The beauty of not using fixed bias is that one of the principle mechanisms causing blocking is eliminated. And, though I hesitate to mention this, it's a cheaper solution. At surplus, I bought LEDs for less than 5 cents. The 98 that I use for two channels ends up costing less than a high quality electroltic capacitor.

Poobah, no, it's AB1.

And the currents are indeed balanced if you use reasonably matched output tubes. It is my experience that overload recovery is the single greatest factor separating really good amps from also-rans, much more so than the piddling imbalance introduced by 2 or 3 mils of mismatch (with toroidal output transformers possibly excepted).

Given how cheap TIP50 and LM317 are, if you're really worried about output stage balance, you could build a separate regulator for each screen.

SY said:

And the currents are indeed balanced if you use reasonably matched output tubes.

Yes...but this is not a solution if one of your goals is to make the amp cheap and even matched tubes can change their characteristics in time.

SY said:

It is my experience that overload recovery is the single greatest factor separating really good amps from also-rans, much more so than the piddling imbalance introduced by 2 or 3 mils of mismatch (with toroidal output transformers possibly excepted).

Sure, overload recovery is the greatest factor, but the current mismatch is the second one in push pull output stages, IMHO,...

SY said:

Given how cheap TIP50 and LM317 are, if you're really worried about output stage balance, you could build a separate regulator for each screen.

...so...this seems to me an elegant solution. A really good one Sy!
I like it... :eek:

Mark

I was thinking that a lasercut logo like the decware stuff might be better. A piece of translucent glass on the inside could be used to dim the intensity a bit. I can see the bright red light in the corner causing a bit of concern in some areas.
Besides the glow of the tubes is lost in the flood of red