The REAL Reason Why Open Baffle Sounds Better Than Box Speakers

Sonce: the web site uses BD3B .. no one will use BD3 in Excentre...
Did you see i have a modified subway in the show?.. 95% of the time i turned it off..This is the first Sub way to use suspension construction in the market..
The speaker does provide enough NATURAL bass for the type of music I am playing.

Thanks you everyone's time and inputs.. tubelectron: I asked Filip to reply your thread..

Fine idea @vkung ! :)

Personally, I think that the aim of the Horn - included to the AER Plexiglas Open Baffle you pictured us - is to enhance the efficiency (dB) of the Full-Range loudspeaker itself, and - possibly - adjust directivity and balance in the midrange-treble region.

But this horn has no - or little - contribution to the bass extension vs. a plane baffle, which is mainly determined by its size (in accordance to FC=C/2L), and partially compensated or enhanced by the placement of the system in the room, the choice of the listening position, and the geometry of the room itself.

But it's my opinion, OK ? ;) So If Mr Filip Keller takes the time to answers us, we will have some interesting input from the designer himself ! :cool:

T

Yes I am waiting him has time to reply..
He told me a lot of people does not understand the concept. It is better to ask him to reply your calacaution
I have no idea what you are talking about.. but I found the larger the horn the better the airy sound. It has enoug natural bass..
I have around 20 peolpe visted my place in the last 2 years. They listened the Excentre without subway... No one will talk about how low this speaker can go..
Everyone has similar reply.. How come the sound so airy... ??

Auf die obige Nachricht kann ich wie folgt antworten: wir haben über 40 Jahre lang sehr umfangreiche Versuche durchgeführt die einen ganz anderen Weg aufzeigen und auch zeigen dass diese Überlegungen wie oben dargetan zu kurz greifen. Wir können gerne die Ergebnisse unserer Arbeit mit Messungen vor Ort und Publikum demonstrieren oder auch Kurse und Tutorials hier in Stuttgart gegen angemessene Honorierung durchführen um die Lautsprecherliebhaber auf ein anderes Level zu bringen und sie von der Enge der bisherigen Akustischen Fehl-Lehrmeinungen zu befreien.

Google Translation in English:
I can respond to the above message as follows: we have carried out very extensive experiments for over 40 years that show a completely different path and also show that these considerations, as shown above, fall short. We are happy to demonstrate the results of our work with measurements on site and to the audience or to hold courses and tutorials here in Stuttgart for a reasonable fee in order to take loudspeaker lovers to another level and free them from the narrowness of previous acoustic misconceptions.

Filip claims that the system can go to 30HZ. without any DB drop at all.. He is welcome everybody wants to go to Stuttgart to confirm his 40+ years creation.
Also about the efficiency of the speaker.. many years ago a lot of people doubt about the efficiency of the AER speaker driver but now no one will talk about the efficiency of AER driver.. because It is a fact

Last edited:
Now if I ever had a very "roomy" living room, I would love a pair of these...with a beautiful vintage receiver like this, with all the SPL power I could ever want.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick…

40242677994_6ddd58c9a2_b.jpg
silbatone_speakers_2.jpg

Filip said this is incorrect " it is not a horn but a short waveguide"---> incorrect...

These AER horns have a shape that is the ideal shape related to flatness of the frequency response curve, directivity and efficiency and superior to all other shapes that we did our research with. (PS the AER horn is irregular in shape. The upper side is longer than bottom side)

Die AER Hörner sind d i e wirklichen Hörner und allen bisherigen uns bekannten Hörnern punkto Linearität, Abstrahlverhalten und Wirkungsgrad überlegen.

English Translation:
The AER horns are the real horns and are superior to all the horns we know of in terms of linearity, radiation behavior and efficiency.

Last edited:
Ah OK - I see : Flat suspension... Like the 1st electrodynamic speaker from MM. Rice and Kellog (circa 1925), the material of the suspension was Chamoisine. Did you made the suspension by yourself - I mean : is it your DIY work ?

1704313750158.png

The AER horns are the real horns and are superior to all the horns we know of in terms of linearity, radiation behavior and efficiency.

Rien moins - il a les chevilles qui enflent, ce brave homme ! As we say in French... :ROFLMAO:"'be full of oneself""

( any thread in DIY Audio Forum must have English translation )

I hope I have the correct translation...
He told me a lot of people does not understand the concept

Bin voyons ! These "a lot of people" - including me and possibly many other DIYaudio members - are probably too stupid to understand "that concept", much more complicated to understand than the basic secular laws of Physic, I guess... :giggle:

Filip claims that the system can go to 30HZ. without any DB drop at all..

OK. Let's return to the initial formula :

F=C/2L ---> 2L=C/F

With C=340m/s and F=30Hz, we have :

2L=340/30=11.33m.

This means that to obtain a frequency cutoff for 30Hz, the smallest dimension L of the OB should be 5.66m, equivalent to a mere 11.33m minimum width for the OB...

I don't see how the little Horn curvation and speaker offset built in that AER OB - little in comparison : equivalent to 2mx2m according to Mr. Keller - could offer a natural FC at 30Hz instead of 170Hz calculated in my previous post.

Yes, I must confess that I personally do not understand the concept :confused: ... But I guess that I'm probably not the only one here to be in that case at DIYaudio :) !

T

Last edited by a moderator:
It is AER's creation (Suspension SUB driver)
It took 40+ years for AER to do Research and Development for his drivers..
You are correct ..
Indeed ! These "a lot of people" - including me and many other DIYaudio members - are probably too stupid to understand "that concept", much more complicated to understand than the basic secular laws of Physic, I guess... :giggle:
I cannot use the word Stupid.. .. You need to close encounter those good design OBs before you can trust 30Hz no DB drop and Airy feeling... T
It is same as people doubt about the efficency of AER Drivers before...
It is Filip's 40+ years hard work.. He will not point out the misunderstanding of your calculation above.

If that is so easy it will not be 40+ years Research and Development..
Hand made Full Range speaker is an art work...

Last edited:
I cannot use the word Stupid.. I think they do not know what they are talking about... You need to close encounter those good design OB before you can trust 30Hz no DB drop and Airy feeling...

It is Filip's 40+ years hard work.. He will not point out the misunderstanding of the calculation above.
If that is so easy it will not be 40+ years Research and Development..
Hand made Full Range speaker is an art work...

Sorry @vkung, but that's not convincing enough for me... On n'attrape pas les mouches avec du vinaigre ! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

T

Sonce: the web site uses BD3B .. no one will use BD3 in Excentre...
Did you see i have a modified subway in the show?.. 95% of the time i turned it off..
The speaker does provide enough NATURAL bass for the type of music I am playing.

The driver model is not relevant - the physic law say that low-frequency cut-off of the OB is dictated by the OB width. Your 128 cm AER Excenter OB waveguide (not horn!) has low-cut frequency of 100 Hz - the same frequency for AER Excenter is quoted by the AER themselves: "Frequency response: 100 Hz – 70 kHz"!
Your smaller version of 65 cm OB waveguide (not horn!) has even higher low-cut frequency than 100 Hz.
Both AER Excenter speakers (65 and 128 cm OB) can not reproduce NATURAL tones of the double-bass or bass-guitar from E1 (41.2 HZ) to E2 (82.4 Hz) - that is one full octave missing from AER Excenter speakers! That is why AER demands using their subwoofer with the model Excenter all the time - you should obey to AER, shouldn't you?
Please stop embarrassing yourself, there are knowledgeable people here on this forum!

Reactions: 1 user