The "sound" Of Mp3`s........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, Mikee12345 -

As a consumer storage format, in general I think 24 bit DVD audio with at least 88ks/s is at least competitive with most analog media on its stronger points, and ideally 32 bit dynamic range for professional applications, so that a few bits of lost resolution due to processing or non-optimized recording level won't automatically destroy SQ. A very robust 'perceptually encoded' format using the CD data rate should also be able to easily meet that consumer standard. Of course, there's a 20 year accumulation of shitty 16 bit 44.1 & 48 ks/s professional equipment that needs to be disposed of somehow and the average quality of audio a/d's & d/a's needs to improve several notches to fully take advantage of a 24 bit or better storage resolution.

As i wrote some posts before the decoding is from some interest also.
I always used the lame integrated or the Nero fhg decoder because i never
was convinsed by the better performance of the Mad decoder.
These days i tried some and found "foobar2000" with dithered diskwriter-plugin
really a step in front!
I was surprised myself. With the headphones on the PC it is hard to tell which sounds
better but for sure different. foobar sounds brighter here in a way.
When listening on my system the difference is much more existing in a moment.
The dithered, decoded mp3 really is much clearer and more detailed.

Any other findings regarding this are welcome.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.