The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

Thanks,

I have also switched off the wireless devices - you said this because the average italian has 3.6 cell phones? ;)

Now I clarify:

- The original problem is not grave, but if possible I want to fix

- Only certain recordings are instable. The CD equivalent are not.

For the recent phenomenon:

- After three weeks of rain and high humidity I have heard a difference from before, not necessarily grave however. The midrange is actually larger sounding than normal but there seems to be loss of speed in high frequencies.

-It is concluded that humidity does change things that are mechanical thus the effects on electronics will be less than mechanical.

The quality and the detail of the sound is very good, as good as many top models and, as expected better than the NADII. I have only a simple ProJect Xpression TT. The motor was horrible and I found and external motor for 30cm plate and makes an incredible improvement. My suspect is the speed control as problem. For preamp is passive pre and amplifiers are chipamp and 300B SET.

The photos will be difficult to understand because there are too many components soldered in on on top of the other… a real birds nest but I can assure that the soldering and equipment is well placed and connected. In fact to change the OpAmps to Fets I must desolder two components (which one is large filter cap) and dismount completely the PCB; all this will consume a lot of time that I will only have in a few weeks. With 50 hour work weeks and exams I find it difficult to find time to write! ;)
I will investigate more in a few weeks when I have more time.

Thanks,
MV

Ps. I only have two cell phones (that is now there are only two)!

FWIW,

I want to add that i am running 2 phonoclones, one of them RJMs own and another is from the kit he offered some time back. I did have hum from both of them. But with a combination of lowering the gain on both (R2 around 400-500R IIRC) and careful cable routing, there is no noticeable hum now. Both of mine are dual mono with the transformers in a separate box. In each case I get plenty of amplification for my needs. I use a zyx R50 and a benz L2 on 2 different TTs.

This is a fantastic sounding phonostage. I've had them up against some others, including tube models and they sound really really good. Surely a fantastic build for anyone, and doable for someone starting off in DIY too.

RJM: a thought on the issues that people are having. Do you know if anyone who built it P2P has the hum/interference problem?

Fran

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
woodturner-fran said:
RJM: a thought on the issues that people are having. Do you know if anyone who built it P2P has the hum/interference problem?

Thanks for the update Fran. Re the above, I don't know anyone who built the phonoclone point to point. VSPS, yes, several, but no phonoclones as far as I recall.

btw the ones I sent to Fran I had used personally in my system and I had no hum at all... yet Fran's PP1 (I think it was) was quiet in his system. So I came to the conclusion that the phonoclone is more picky about what's attached to its input than traditional phono stages. I don't know however whether its inherant to the circuit topology or a "merely" a question of layout / grounding.

@mavallarino:

Why dont you try at least a dummy input load of 40 ohms or so instead of the cartridge? That will at least give you a reference of the phonolcone noise level under "ideal" condition. Switching back to the cart should not change anything much, if it does you know that there is some noise pickup problem upstream.

/R

Hi!

Just been reading this thread with great interest. After having built several amps, pre-amps, and lattery a Shigaclone and DAC, I'm turning my attention - finally! - to a decent phono stage.

I'm not sure which phono stage is better suited for my needs though. I have the following catridge:

Denon 103R - the 'R' version is 14-ohms, and recommended loading is 100-ohms according to the data-sheet (even though the seperate 'certificate' sheet containing the frequency response graph is taken at 47-ohms!!!), though many have reported better sound with 150-ohm loading.

Could I get away with using this cartridge with the VSPS Ultra, or do I need to build the phonoclone?

Many thanks :)

- John

John

You need the phonoclone!

I am using a DL103 and the phonoclone for about three years now. Great combination.

The only disadvantage: a little bit ground noise, because the very high gain. Sensibly for grounding issues.

Try the "zero impedance input" (14 ohm to be exactly for the 103R) and 100 ohm input.

Maybe switchable?

And most important: measure for DC at the input, before connecting any moving coil cartridge!

I once destroyed a DL160 (with a faulty VSPS) with DC :bawling:

Franz

P.S.
I will try soon a input stepup transformer and probably a VSPS to compare. With a stepup, the high gain of a phonoclone is not needed.

johnm said:
Hi Ralph!

Are you using any step-up transformers as well, or running the 103-R
directly into the phonoclone? Can I ask what resistor values ur using?

Mucho thanks :)

Still curious whether it would work with the VSPS too - I like its simplicity ;)

- John

You don't need step ups with the Phonoclone; gain is more than enough. I have to check on the exact resistors (I think it's somewhere between 700 -1000 R).

Ralph

johnm said:
Thanks Ralph/Franz - sounds promising!

I'm torn between this design, and the one mentioned here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=942394#post942394

Has anyone built both?

Thanks,

- John

Ha, yes I did indeed. To be more specific, I tried to build the other one but couldn't get the MC part to work (with the hard to get SKxxxx parts). I gave up and built the Phonoclone because I has an easy PCB available :)

Let's boost this tread :)

I see the Phonoclone RC is now the recommended one. What's the difference with the BE I have (sonically); should I consider is as an upgrade? If not, what would your suggestion be to current BE users for sonic improvement? Upgrade the PSU for example?

Cheers, Ralph

The 2134 is very forgiving with voltage. I run the 2134's in my phonostage at +/- 18V with no problems. I've also used OPA 2228's in there as well with that voltage. I think the 2134's are rated at up to 19V in the datasheet. The voltage doesn't affect the RIAA circuit.

Mica Caps / OpAmp / Vishay Dales

I've found these Mica caps at Mouser:

1000pf - 1%
598-CD19FD102FO3F

3000pf - 1%
598-CD19FD302FO3

Now for the life of me I can't find anywhere if modern mica caps are all of the "silver mica" variety. I'd hate to find that "standard mica" caps are inferior to silver micas in an audio circuit, especially since these ones are so critical. Can anyone comment on this?

Also, was there a specific spec that made the OP27 particularly suitable for this circuit (VSPS)? I was also interested in trying the OPA132, OPA227, the OPA627, and the OPA2107 (yes, I know this is a dual part).

Finally, I was thinking of using the Vishay Dale RN55 resistors as the RIAA feedback resistors - I'm lead to believe that among metal films, these have low inductance. Is this 1) true 2) a problem if it's not?

Sorry, I've just got those parts selection jitters pretty bad. :)

thanks,
-d

Need advice (Benz Micro Ace Medium)

Hello All,

I am a newcomer and have pretty much devoured this thread as quickly as possible because of a sudden interest in trying a new Phono stage.

First let me tell you my current set up and predicament ;)

This year I made a huge step up in the hi fi set up mainly because I rediscovered vinyl. I have bought a new Gyro SE TT, SME 309 arm and a Project Tube Box SE phono stage. Sounds very nice compared to my old set up, but then a financial blow was dealt in the shape of a complete failure of my old 5881 based amp. Just now I am back on the road having purchased a Mystere KT88 based amp which is a beautiful to look at and listen to amp.

As if that wasn't enough I managed to trash my Goldring Eroica stylus two weeks ago so at the moment I am waiting on my new Benz Micro Ace Medium (0.8V) cart arriving. All thoughts of a new high end phono stage have gone out the window along with most of my spare cash :bawling:

So now to the question....

I'd love to try the VSPS or Phonoclone against my 12AX7 based Phono box, but not sure which would match the cart best. I love valves but am not too blinkered that I can't try an SS stage. I did build all sorts of circuits in my youth with those OC71's and other amazing state of the art devices!

Secondly as I am pretty much tied up with a ton of work for the next 2-3 months the chances of building may be slim, therefore would there be a kind soul here that has one for sale or even could loan to test if I pay postage etc?

I am living in Germany.

Many thanks,

Al