The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
There are no stupid questions ... just stupid answers.

Anyone seeing the long and short leads on the supposedly non-polar cap is going to wonder along similar lines.

While there is a difference mechanically between the two ends of the capacitor, which may or may not make a difference ... Peter thinks they do and he is entitled to his opinion ... I contend that under a pure AC signal there is no relevent electrical distinction between the signal "entering" and "leaving"... the difference can only manifest when the cap is under DC bias. That, in turn, is my opinion.

I do however make sure the caps are both connected the same "direction" between the two channels, but I dont keep consistency from build to build.

You may all do as you please. :)

Richard

Ah jeez, it was only a joke....

No one suffers from RJMs' aforementioned component nervosa more than me I can assure you. When I see stuff like that ie a cap thats nonpolar, shouldn't matter which way you connect it, and yet one lead is left longer than the other I'm tempted to subscribe to the machina dynamica mode of thought about audio.

Fran

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here is also a link that i find

I re-read that again (curse you!) ... first came accross it years ago. Now, as then, I cannot decide whether its complete balderdash or if there is actually something in it after all.

The short lead of the BG-N is the inner foil. The long lead is the outer foil and seemingly the case. Thus if it really matters to you and you want to follow Peter Daniel's advice, you should connect the short lead the pad marked "+" on the board.

Gack! Reading through that hideous translation again makes my head spin. :dead:

Richard

PS. (on the super e-cap) Look, seriously, if you take two inductors and connect them in parallel, you get half the inductance, half the ESR, and twice the stray capacitance. Even if there is any asymmetry in the way the coils are wound, for example, you cant simply cancel out the inductance by connecting one of the inductors "backwards". Until someone can give me a sensible response to that - preferably with some measurements - I'm not buying it.

Hello, oh well I thought I will be able to go from here unatended, but..... I need an advice in the case of proper version circuits for adjustable regulators. I hope, someone will find a moment to help me. As I have mentioned before I want to use LT1033 negative regulators and LT1085 positive ones. Actually I have a three questions:
- which circuit is recommended from LT1033 sheet
- --------------------//--------------------- LT1085 --//--
- I do not know how to calculate R1 & R2 for LT1085
Thank you very much for the help

http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.jsp?navId=H0,C3,P1239
http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.jsp?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1040,C1055,P1283

Hi rjm,

Thanks for the answer. :)

May I know what is the puporse in using two stages of inverting amplifier in Phonoclone? Can I ommit the first stage, while increasing the gain of the second stage?

What is the criteria in choosing opamp for phonoclone? Low noise, speed, slew-rate etc.? Can I use Jfet input opamp such as TL072/LF353?

Thanks.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Can I ommit the first stage, while increasing the gain of the second stage?

It was called the VSPS Ultra. It didn't by all accounts work very well so I deleted the web page.

The Phonoclone is a highly optimised circuit. Unless you know more than I do, messing about with it is unlikely to make it better.

Op-amp selection has been discussed both on this thread and the web pages. The OP27 works well, and the circuit is optimized to a considerable extent to work well with the OP27. Anything else you are on your own. Some work some dont, just ask Onvinyl.

Finished today the phono amp
and here are some pics.
It is heavy i think about 1,5 kg :)

And here is also a question
I wil use 2 transformers (each board one) the XLR is a 7 pin plug
each wire is connected to his own pin (used total 5 pins)
The com. is connected together first on the chassis and then on one pin.
is this correct that they are connected together in de amplier case when i use 2 transformers?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Tube 300-

In the first picture it appears the left side signal in and out wiring are straight and the right side wires are crossed.

Am I seeing that right? If they are identical channels why would they be different?

I LOVE the case!.. How much did that cost you? Prolly more than the electronics.

hi thanks
The right side is crossed because the inputs are left and right
from the xlr plug the outside plugs are the outputs
thats better for the cables that i use
if you do this on channel is crossed then.

I made the case myself out of 1 piece alluminium
i can use the skills on my work
the boards are mounted on a piece bronze 6mm thick
that fit exactly in the case

But i am not sure about the com connection

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ok, I see how you've done it. That should be OK.

Remembering Fran's recent difficulties however, I would test that everything is working and hum-free as soon as you can. You may need to wire a slightly different grounding arrangement, with the inputs grounded to the case and COMs not. In which case you'll need to keep both COMs independent ... i.e. run two separate wires from the power supply to each board, neither connected directly to the case or ground lug.

/R

Just to let you know what I did:

dual mono, separate cable run to 2 x 3 way XLR jacks. I used uninsulated rca sockets for the inputs, insulated for the outputs, and connecting the ground to the common made no difference - in my set up.

I must add though that in my set up, having the TT ground connected or not makes no difference anyway - on yours you may need to connect the ground lug to common.

For the kit build, I am using wooden cases so grounding the inputs is going to be a bit different and I may have to experiment a bit.

(PS my power supply and casework is done, I just need to build the kit now)

Fran