The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

quote:

P.S. Let us know how you make out with Olimex.

I sent an email order to fastpcb@Olimex.com but todate have not received a reply! I'm thinking maybe it's because I did not "print, fill and sign PO form" of which I am totally clueless!! What PO form? What am I missing here?

In my email I ordered:

Qty 1 SSS (VSPS 17a 10mil final.brd x4) re-order RM270606

Should this have been sufficient to start the ball rolling?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

btw, for reference, the following is taken from the Olimex "How To Order" webpage:

NOTE for existing customers:

If your card info is not changed since your last order you can send your po to us by e-mail. Please print, fill and sign PO form, in card info field write previous PO#, card exp date and card cvc code. NOTE: if you send your po form by fax (not by e-mail) you must fill it completely! PO forms received by fax without card info will not be processed.

We accept Visa, EC/MC, Western Union money orders, T/T to bank account.
NOTE: we can't charge VISA ELCTRON cards. Paypal doesn't support Bulgarian merchants.
Due to the high cost of sending and accepting bank T/T wire transfers, any orders paid by T/T will be subject to a $40 wire handling fee.

Many thanks.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
esplanade,

Please read the Olimex FAQ on their website very carefully. They automatically delete orders from anonymous email domains like yahoo, hotmail etc. Could this be the problem?

Also you have to send your email with the following format:

1. Name: <enter your name>

2. Company: <enter your company or none>

3. Billing address: <where invoice to be sent>

4. Shipping address: <where boards to be sent>

5. Shipping option: <airmail, Express mail, Courier - please check if Express mail is available to your country>

6. Order: <number and types of panels, for instance DSS 1 pce>

7. For all orders from Europe Union valid EU VAT ID. Our web prices are export prices without VAT included, if the order comes from Europe Union and the recipient doesn't provide valid EU VAT ID we must charge 20% Bulgarian VAT above the order value. This apply *ONLY* for orders from European Union.

8. Notes: <anything you want to tell us, for instance: I want these boards with 0.8 mm thickness>

R

Cukkurullo,

Doh, my email must have totally come across the wrong way! I'm very pleased you report your experience with LT1085 and tantalum caps here.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the purchase order format - I have followed it exactly, and sent another email, hopefully this time it's OK...

btw, I did spot the anonymous email issue, and made sure to use my ISP email address on both occasions. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks.

I've built recently VSPS using modified Veteran boards with all critical components connected p2p underneathe the chip. I also omitted some output resistors. The chip is OPA627, all caps BG, resistors are Caddocks, regulators LM2990/2937. It worked pretty well by itself, but it's really good with S&B TX 103 in step up (with Shelter 901).

Peter,

Could you post a schematic of your version of VSPS, and photos.

Thanks,
Ray Simmons.

RAYSIMMONS said:
Could you post a schematic of your version of VSPS, and photos.

Here is the photo. It basically shares only RIAA components with VSPS, everything else is different (besides some resistor similarities). I used Veteran boards, but all critical circuitry is p2p, underneath the board.

I will post schematic soon. As I mentioned somwhere else, I've also built Ono, but somehow the OPA627 circuit sounded nicer to me. I didn't try to optimize Ono yet though.

Attachments

• vsps.jpg
    vsps.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 966
Question about the PSU for the PhonoClone. I built mine with a 2x15V 50VA transformer. V+ is 22Vdc, V- is -22Vdc referenced to COM. Sounds okay.

Now I connected a LED so I could see if the PSU is switched on. It's a green LED, If 25mA, Vf 2.1V. I connected it to V+ and COM using a 820R resistor. LED works. But .... V+ drops to about 14Vdc. V- stays at -22Vdc. Current is around 15mA. Can anyone explain the V+ drop?

Ralph

Turn the LED around and connect it accross the v- side and see if it drops accordingly..
Yes it does. V- drops to -14Vdc. V+ is 22Vdc again.

You have to measure voltages with the phonoclone circuit attached to the power supply, since the power supply itself has no filter capacitance.
I measured again, this time at the Vin of the LM317/LM337. With the LED connected the voltage drops insignificantly (0.2Vdc). So I guess this behavor confused me. Didn't think about measuring the circuit instead of the PSU itself. Thanks!:)

My Phonoclone is up and running since yesterday :) Sounds good on first listen, no hum or hiss when playing a record (will come to that 'but' some other time).

Now comes the tweak part about the gain. Gain is a little low for my system right now.

The mid-band gain of the second stage is roughly 0.6 R5/R3. As shown it is 33, or 30 dB. The gain of the first stage is R2/Rs, where Rs is the cartridge impedance. When using the OP27, the gain of the first stage should ideally be set to about 45 dB for a total gain of 75 dB.

Just to make sure. I'm using a DL-103 (40 ohms) with R2 set to 1K and R1 to 47R. Is it true that with R2 set to 1K8, the gain in the first stage is 1800/40=45 dB?

Ralph

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
And the Eagle files, all prepped and ready for Olimex.

Single-sided boards, and small size keeps the cost down. The main reason I made this however was I wanted to see how a little bit of filtering (10 ohms / 100u perhaps) affects the sound.

Dunno when I"ll have the chance to build this though. The only reason I had the time to do up the PCBs is Im home recovering from the flu.

/R

Attachments

• phonoclone 26b.zip
    46.5 KB · Views: 98