The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

and another pic

another...

Attachments

• dscn0913 copy.jpg
    dscn0913 copy.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 837
stevodude said:
pupsik46, wouldn't that standard transformer create a bucket load of eltromagnitism/noise in your phono stage?...
Maybe, I'm currently using quite noisy tube amplifier so little extra noise don't matter. Anyway I'll change this temporary PSU (7812&7912, noname electrolytics caps, polyester caps) to decent PSU (new transformer, M5230 as a vreg, low esr caps, polypropylene caps etc).

Hi,

i thought about building a nice VSPS. I will use a Denon DL103 catridge with it. I also have a nice pair of Lundahl's:
LL1681 and LL9206.

I would like to builld a VSPS together with the 1:10 step up.

Which version should i build?

I wonder why one could not buy pcb's?

Best Regards

Barossi

You might want to check out the phonoclone, AFAIK it is designed especially for the DL103. You'll find details of it in this forum if you search about a bit.

That said, I built my VSPS using some PCBs - I used separate PSU, dual mono design, blackgate/elna/wima fkp caps. Use of the best components is well rewarded! Also read the entire thread here!

Fran

Having tried the zero impedance of the phonoclone and been a fan of the vividness and dynamic that the dl-103 (original version) loaded at 1kohms is able I was deceived by the phonoclone sound. It was too soft, muffled for my taste.

Last weekend I tried to load the cartridge at 1k instead of zero ohms and what a difference ! specialy with r2 removed. You can play with it from 400 to 1k ohms but in a appropriate toneamr/tt combo 1k won't give you harsh treble. This mounting can give something near the vividness that only the decca was able but without it's nasty sides.

Having said that, I know this sound is not for everyone so it's just to give you an way of tweaking the sound to your taste. To find an appropriate balance, why not using a temporary 1k potentiometer and search for the appropriate point ?

Is it possible that the zero ohms loading damp too much the cartridge and kill it's vividness ?

I will now try to find more neutral op-amp than the opa627 (ordered a pair of ad811 and one of ad797 to try) because I find them a little bit too much on the sweet side.

I also want to build the recommanded phono amp from the lm4562 pdf, I've got some nice metal can version as samples :)

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Remove R2, the feedback resistor? Surely not. I assume you meant the resistor on the noninverting input, R1?

What do you mean exactly when you "load the cartridge with 1k"?

The correct way to do this is add 1k in series with the DL103 and set R1 to 1k to balance. R2 would have to increase to 30kohms to maintain a gain of 30.

OR you could reconfigure the input opamp to run noninverting, in which case R1 is 1k, R2 is 1.5k ohms and an additional resistor on the inverting input is 50 ohms.

It is true that the DL103 seems to have more top end as the load impedance increases. 1k load sounds a lot more sparkly than the usual recommended loading of 100 ohms. Its also true that you can tune this balance equally effectively by adjusting the tonearm height... as I discovered recently, the DL103's character changes significantly over a small height range (2mm).

I remember enjoying the LD103 with 1k on the VSPS. However I think the phonoclone, with the cartridge adjusted properly, gives a more refined, balanced performance.

/rjm

Oups you are right, I didn't check you plans before saying r2, it's r1 :)

I will try the non inverting solution as you said.

My vta is flat as it is adjusted for my other setup which was giving a more vivid sound. I found a totaly new cartridge in the dl-103 when I tried a torsten loesch recommandation of loading and installing the dl-103 on a old sme 3009 tone arm (lousy mounting using dynamat and rubber o-ring, loading at 1kohms).

Hi Frank
I don't understand what you tried, do you mind to post a diagram?

The 627 is indeed too soft in the phonoclone, and the ad811 in the first stage should rock, if you use a decent psu.
I for myself did not manage to keep the ad797 quiet in the first stage, keep us posted!
Rüdiger

Franz G said:
Hauke, sorry, I mean Barossi :D

You better try the phonoclone with zero input impedance, together with the DL103.

A really great solution. I use it for more than one year.

You can save the Lundahls, for this purpose.

Kind regards
Franz

Hi Franz,
thanks for your reply! We should keep in touch offline:

barossi at gmx dot de

Thanks & Best regards

Barossi

hi rjm and others,
I'm having the phonoclone in my system for quite some time,
but I'm somehow reluctant to close the file for now. And to close the actual box, too...
If for some reason one of the psu voltages fail, you have around 0.6V across the cart, and that will kill it. I for myself had it happening a few month ago, and some other fellow here as well. In my case it was a malfunctioning super regulator (that i placed most wisely on a piece of blank wire :yell: while testing something).
Does anyone have a good idea to measure and care for DC at the input without degrading the sound with e.g. a relais? Any solution would give a somehow more relaxed feeling...
Rüdiger

Onvinyl said:
hi rjm and others,
I'm having the phonoclone in my system for quite some time,
but I'm somehow reluctant to close the file for now. And to close the actual box, too...
If for some reason one of the psu voltages fail, you have around 0.6V across the cart, and that will kill it. I for myself had it happening a few month ago, and some other fellow here as well. In my case it was a malfunctioning super regulator (that i placed most wisely on a piece of blank wire :yell: while testing something).
Does anyone have a good idea to measure and care for DC at the input without degrading the sound with e.g. a relais? Any solution would give a somehow more relaxed feeling...
Rüdiger

That is worrisome. I wonder if a fast acting relay (maybe reed) to disconnect the cartridge and a DC sensing circuit would work. If the supplies fail any high value filter cap would decay slowly enough to trigger a supply voltage level sensing circuit (it would sense a fall below + or - 15 v levels) to open the relay. I would expect a solid state device in series with the cartridge output to degrade the signal. But such in parallel to shunt the output might work.