The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

Increase R8 from 47 ohms to 4k7 ohms and then add a switch to connect OUT+ of R and L channels together.

The price you pay is slightly higher output impedance (4k7 ohms) even when the MONO switch is open, but there are no free lunches... that's why it's usually implemented in the preamp input section.

Any suggestions as how to do that? I'd be happy to mod the Cary SLP-98 that is on the way.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you have the circuit schematic for the Cary it is probably not too hard to manage as it's all hand wired inside most likely. Since there's already a mute switch it might be that the only thing that needs to be added is another switch for mono/stereo. Maybe. I wouldn't touch it without the service manual though.

Hi RJM. I have been reading the VSPSX post.
I have seen that you have removed the Allen Wright 50 kHz time constant.
I have the VSPS 300 dual mono kit. If I remove the resistor R3 (2k2), will I get any improvement in the sound ?.
I see that the VSPSX tampon is very similar to Marantz HDAM. It fulfills the same purpose ?.
Greetings, Josè

re. R3: just short over the leads and give it a listen. Really, it shouldn't make much difference at all but I'd like for someone to test it practically.

The VSPSX has in addition a low pass filter on the output which means the treble response can be rolled off.

Note the comparison is referenced to the standard RIAA curve. The VSPS is "flat" on the AW modified RIAA curve.

(Yes the buffer circuit is similar to the Marantz version - I didn't copy it from there though, and note the HDAM itself appears to be the discrete op amp module and not the buffer. I'm not totally clear on that though.)

Attachments

• pcb-vspsx-10a1-sch.png
    pcb-vspsx-10a1-sch.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 175
  • response comparison.png
    response comparison.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Hi RJM!

These last posts have had me thinking, and re-reading what you wrote on the VSPS project's page about the "side effects" R3 has on the impedance of the feedback loop.

As you know I did buffer my stereo VSPS with your excellent bboards, and I am wondering whether I could now safely defeat the AW-correction by shorting across R3... or even better, by installing a switch to disable it at will, depending on the day's mood!?

[what Andrew said]

1m interconnects should be fine, and input stages often don't have an RF filter or if they do have 10k in series with it anyways, so the 2k~ this mod adds to the output impedance shouldn't make much difference.

I'm thinking about using this switch/resistor set-up instead of desoldering and resoldering resistors at the board. Thoughts? Does the resistor value make sense in this application? If not, how would one determine appropriate values?

stereo%20to%20mono_zpspioiz6q6.jpg

just finished my Phonoclone this morning.
What an amazing sound !

Attachments

• IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    775 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2354.JPG
    IMG_2354.JPG
    745.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2352.JPG
    IMG_2352.JPG
    844.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2348.JPG
    IMG_2348.JPG
    928.4 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2343.JPG
    IMG_2343.JPG
    783.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2342.JPG
    IMG_2342.JPG
    811.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2356.JPG
    IMG_2356.JPG
    685.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Why or Why not?

Regarding the build (s) in general, I see some where all the wires both input and output are twisted but the power in wires are not, some where just the power ones are twisted and some where just the inputs/outputs are twisted. Is there a consensus on this? Why or why not to twist?

Regarding the build (s) in general, I see some where all the wires both input and output are twisted but the power in wires are not, some where just the power ones are twisted and some where just the inputs/outputs are twisted. Is there a consensus on this? Why or why not to twist?
Good question.

But the glaring error that is Dangerous is the omission of the PE to Chassis Safety connection.

Is there a mains fuse in that IEC input socket?

It is my view that ALL Flow and Return pairs should be twisted to minimise emi.