The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

Again, dealing with unimportant things..

Replacing capacitors, a power supply opamps which at that position all do the same.. in the end, you left in the first chip position OPA27, which is most important for sound..

... which will stay there until I can get a 'better' one working in that position. I tried the 'better' ones, which sounded pants. Once I feel up to it (poor health) I will try them with various bypass caps in various positions and see.

Also I think you are wrong. The power supply is the one part that can make or break an amplifier. If it was as easy as having the best amplifier chips powered by a rubbish PS, then everyone would be doing it that way.

Again, dealing with unimportant things..

Replacing capacitors, a power supply opamps which at that position all do the same.. in the end, you left in the first chip position OPA27, which is most important for sound..

They all do the same thing. That does not mean they do it the same way...

I have not checked different opamps (on their way now), but for capacitors I can wholeheartedly say that they do make a difference and not a subtle one...

Everything in HiFi is opinion...

I disagree, HI-FI is like any other electronics, there is physical laws applicable to all.. there should not exist more correct opinions..

Thankfully we all have different tastes and priorities..

As long as the taste argument in the evaluation of a device, there is no room for any improvement..
Electronics is progressing, only Hi-Fi industry used some components abandoned half century ago..

I disagree, HI-FI is like any other electronics, there is physical laws applicable to all.. there should not exist more correct opinions..

As long as the taste argument in the evaluation of a device, there is no room for any improvement..
Electronics is progressing, only Hi-Fi industry used some components abandoned half century ago..

In that case there would only be one way of making an amplifier. As that is clearly not the case, taset MUST come into the equation

In that case there would only be one way of making an amplifier..

I disagree.. there are countless ways to make amplifier, each will be different, better or worse..

As that is clearly not the case, taste MUST come into the equation..

Precisely, we find the problem.. instead there are some standards, everything is left to the subjective impression.. so often we are convinced that something bad is great..
If we want serious approach the issue, we must know what we listen.. than you realize that generally what you thought was good, in fact distortion and harmonics..

As long as the taste argument in the evaluation of a device, there is no room for any improvement.
And
Precisely, we find the problem.. instead there are some standards, everything is left to the subjective impression.. so often we are convinced that something bad is great..

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you but...
So glad someone can finally tell me what it is I like. If I'd only known! All I had to do was ask the "experts" like you...

Electronics is progressing, only Hi-Fi industry used some components abandoned half century ago.
And the primary motivation of any industry is the highest quality product instead of the bottom line? No doubt that was the reason the HiFi industry started moving toward solid state. I see, I see.

Last edited:
And the primary motivation of any industry is the highest quality product instead of the bottom line? No doubt that was the reason the HiFi industry started moving toward solid state. I see, I see.

I did not wrote about quality of parts..

I wonder would you buy a laptop or a TV with tubes, output transformers or paper in oil half century old capacitors.. only in HI-FI someone use such nonsense.. of course, with argument of subjective experience, that is totally worthless..

Here man did not know how to implement a fast chip, then immediately rushed to declare OPA27 better than AD797..
Do you believe his subjective experience or measurements and datasheet?

AD797 sounds better than LT1028..

... but will it work as IC 1?

Of course it will..</snip>

Did you say

Of course it will with a capacitor in parallel with R2, start with 10pF.. </snip>

No you didn't. I posted my findings as I found them, vis:-

OK, here we go. TT is a LP12 with Ittok LVIII and DV XX2 MKII. Gain and load resistors set correctly as per the calculator.

The LME49710 in IC's 2, 3 and 4 gave a noticeable improvement to all areas of the music. Replacing IC 2 with the AD797 was even better. Clearer, lower noise, easier to follow.

Replacing IC 1 was a different matter. Both the LME49710 and AD797 were useless. The sound became thin, muffled, VERY quiet. Almost like a MM cart put in a line input. There is no way I am keeping them in that position. Putting the OPA27 back in IC 1 restored the music.

My recommendation (for what its worth) OPA27 in IC1, AD797 in IC2 and LME49710 in IC3 & 4.

EDIT:- No, I didn't try AD797's in IC3&4 as I didn't have enough to do both channels

Guys what would be better for bypassing the VSPS for AD797?

Get one 100nF cap between pins 4-7 in the socket with really short leads?
Or stick two caps, one on each pin 4 and 7 and send a longer lead to the ground?

Oh and does it make sense to replace one of the 100uF electrolytics with a 1uF tandalum? Again as per the datasheet bypassing instructions

Last edited:
All right, you know best..

If you can not see from the pdf how much is AD797 superior to OPA27..
You've only got to trust your hearing and intuition..

I have NEVER claimed that I know best. I just posted my findings. You said that the AD797 would work as IC1. Clearly is doesn't, as my findings show. However, you say it will work if a cap is added across R1.

If you had mentioned that at an earlier stage than you did all of this would have been avoided.

WHEN I feel up to the task, I will add a cap across R1 and try again.

As previous I will post my findings. They may agree with yours, they may not. It does not mean that one of us is wrong, it simply means that we are looking for different things. I am open minded enough to try different things, but if they do not work FOR ME I will not hesitate to say so.

Last edited: