The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

Well, okay, okay: technically if you make sure the windings are the in phase and the output voltages and impedances and current ratings equal, secondaries sharing a core and secondaries on separate cores can be treated equivalently. You can connect them in parallel to increase the total output current. Probably. Haven't tried it but I see no reason in principle that it wouldn't work.

However, that diagram in proximity to the words "i'll admit from the start i know nothing about electronics" is reason enough for alarm.

If you need more current, buy a bigger transformer.

thanks guys thought it was a silly idea.. lol

i'm looking forward to the phonoclone kit coming from Richard and should be good fun putting it together and if i can manage to do it then there is hope for everyone as i'm completely clueless but want to learn.

btw. i have not heard vinyl for over 15 years and i have been subjected to MP3's in the meantime so my ears will be fresh as a daisy. busy putting my LPT back into service and i'm like a kid with a new toy :)

another question.

i take it the rectifiers are dependant on what current the transformer can put out?

so the 200v 3amp rectifier would be for a transformer capable of outputting 3 amps.

if i got larger transformers lets say of putting out 6amp would i keep the 200v the same but up the current handling of the rectifier to 6amp?

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
@bibio

There's no direct relationship, since the current draw from the circuit is so small. Really, you can do as much or as little (see vulejov, above) as you want. Getting diodes that match or exceed the transformers current rating is a good rule of thumb however. Diodes are cheap after all.

@vulejov

Well, all I can say to that is if audio was as simple as "works/doesn't work" we'd have all gone home for dinner a long time ago!

vuljov, if you cannot hear a difference then that should be the end of it. There are at least four possibility's here: 1) the rest of your system is incapable of revealing a change 2) your incapable of hearing a change 3) you are correct and there can be no difference or 4) you are not using 'music' to evaluate your conclusion.

My VSPS 300 with Auidio Theta caps

Took out the Hovand Supercaps and installed the Theta polyprop and tin foil caps today. I know after two hours these will fit the bill nicely. Used Neotech single crystal copper wire to input/output and a larger Hammond box in case I wanted to bypass the the ouput caps with the Russian Teflons I have coming, but right not doesn't seem that it will need them. The pre-amp is dead quiet, thanks Richard for you help.

Attachments

• VSPS 001.JPG
    VSPS 001.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 199
@vulejov

Well, all I can say to that is if audio was as simple as "works/doesn't work" we'd have all gone home for dinner a long time ago!

Audio is electronic just like any other.

vulejov, if you cannot hear a difference then that should be the end of it..

Audio is electronic just like any other.. it doesn't matter what we hear, only how circuit works..

@waltroman

Looks good Walt. Glad it all worked out for you.

@vulejov

I'm not sure what you want from me. Do you want me to agree with you? Okay. "Audio is electronics like any other". That's factually correct. It's also factually correct to say that I cannot provide you with an irrefutable, scientific model or theory for why you should be better off using a larger transformer. Nor can I point to any measurements or simulation of the output signal that might demonstrate any improvement, just as I'm sure any such attempt would leave you empty handed.

I can only suggest that the weight of empirical evidence is against you. Not only have I, personally, heard a great improvement on switching to larger and/or better quality transformers, you will easily find dozens of similar reports by other people covering a wide spectrum of small-signal DIY and commercial circuits. So great is the consensus on this point that I consider it to be at the level of common knowledge for anyone working in audio design.

The rest is up to you. You can continue to believe that a 2 VA transformer fronting an LM7812 provides a voltage source of sufficient quality for high-end audio circuits, you can obtain several transformers and evaluate them yourself, or you can learn to trust, in aggregate, the recommendations of other people.

I've got a 120va on my PhonoClone and am VERY happy

hhhmm. 'VERY' sounds good :)

i'm going the route of 1 supply per board and i'm planning on adding the headphone amp in a cppl weeks which will be the same so i plan on 4 supply's in total.

i don't like changing my gear so i will have this built and will be using it more than likely for the rest of my life. well that is until they get it together and finally give us 'solid state' medium at a very very high bit rate.

I've got a 120va on my PhonoClone and am VERY happy

I have 150VA in amplifier..

@vulejov

I'm not sure what you want from me. Do you want me to agree with you? Okay. "Audio is electronics like any other". That's factually correct. It's also factually correct to say that I cannot provide you with an irrefutable, scientific model or theory for why you should be better off using a larger transformer. Nor can I point to any measurements or simulation of the output signal that might demonstrate any improvement, just as I'm sure any such attempt would leave you empty handed.

I can only suggest that the weight of empirical evidence is against you. Not only have I, personally, heard a great improvement on switching to larger and/or better quality transformers, you will easily find dozens of similar reports by other people covering a wide spectrum of small-signal DIY and commercial circuits. So great is the consensus on this point that I consider it to be at the level of common knowledge for anyone working in audio design.

OK, I agree, there is no proof of benefit using larger transformer..

The rest is up to you. You can continue to believe that a 2 VA transformer fronting an LM7812 provides a voltage source of sufficient quality for high-end audio circuits, you can obtain several transformers and evaluate them yourself, or you can learn to trust, in aggregate, the recommendations of other people.

Any transformer in this world can't make high-end audio circuit with OP27..

Audio is electronic just like any other.. it doesn't matter what we hear, only how circuit works..

what.. i think you have that the wrong way round. here let me rephrase that for you

''it doesn't matter how the circuit works, only what we hear..''

you could use all the supposed 'high end' equipment you like doesn't mean to say it will sound good. well it might to one person but not another.

after all! its aural enjoyment we are all after. if we all liked the same thing the world would be a very very boring place.