The Pentaview - or the results from my latest inspiration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cat's out of the bag: the rectangle in the line sketch is simply a 6" thick piece of Owens Corning 705-FRK (or similar) that will strongly attenuate the output from the cone mid in that direction.

Better absorption than reflection, I think, since with a rigid reflector there is an opportunity for the sound to diffract around it.

Your proposed speaker looks great-kind of like an updated version of the old Allison 9 speaker(one of my favorites).
Any reason not to use quarter-round radiuses rather than the angle cut on the front face(s)?
I don't know how to build large radii. Ideally the enclosure would be a full semi-cylinder (or even a full cylinder) with just enough flat so that the drivers can mount easily.

You know, I just thought of something. Maybe I can slit a big Sonotube lengthwise and insert the baffle into the slot, slightly expanding the tube, and then fiberglass inside/veneer outside...

Last edited:
Large radii shown. I cannot build this (now).

Attachments

• Formiva vM4104v3 iso.gif
    Formiva vM4104v3 iso.gif
    54.3 KB · Views: 88
One of my old projects was an OB speaker like the Linkwitz Phoenix, but with a panel that had 3" radius edges. I bought 3" radius quarter round plywood from a company in California and joined it to the panel with biscuits and glue. It worked fine, and the price-even shipped-was not outrageous. The same place has larger radiuses and mdf quarter-rounds as well.

One of my old projects was an OB speaker like the Linkwitz Phoenix, but with a panel that had 3" radius edges. I bought 3" radius quarter round plywood from a company in California and joined it to the panel with biscuits and glue. It worked fine, and the price-even shipped-was not outrageous. The same place has larger radiuses and mdf quarter-rounds as well.
It's matching the radii to the bottom miter that's the difficult part.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.