The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Hey guys!!! It's been awhile, but I like to pop in from year to year.... ;)

I'm exploring DSD (even purchased a TEAC PD-501HR player) and wonder what the current consensus is on the subject. I listened to a few downloads (Beck-Sea Changes and Cat Stevens-Tea For The Tillerman), and can hear a bit of an improvement, but to be honest, standard CDs sound excellent with this player.

Thoughts anyone?

This was on the weather forecast at noontime here in Nashville... :eek:
Hey, there is a sign in the upper left that says 4warn so you have no excuse. Besides, it cools right down later on so what's your problem? Maybe Nashville is where this commercial is shot?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msBQR-CmI2E
That's a lovely temperature. Thank god it's not 50 degrees!! ;)
50º would end this boys career. I've only experienced 40 before and that was downright miserable.

Joined 2006
Paid Member

Attachments

• 2014-07-19 16_19_14-UFO Stalker _ UFO sightings, UFO reports, UFO pictures, and UFO videos as th.jpg
    2014-07-19 16_19_14-UFO Stalker _ UFO sightings, UFO reports, UFO pictures, and UFO videos as th.jpg
    808 KB · Views: 96
Jacco, Jet Star has issued at least three collections of Prince Buster classics on CD - worth the effort to find them.

Scott - Your dorm mate from '69 must have been either a Brit or ahead of his time - Reggae (apart from the horrible covers by folks like Clapton) wasn't brought to my attention until '76 - Ska and Prince Buster, much later, mostly due to the early 80's British Ska revival scene fueled to a large extent by Prince Buster's recordings. Madness, The Beat, and The Specials all covered Prince Buster.

Last edited:
Scott and I were overlapping dorm neighbors back in '71 (he was an upperclassman, I had just started). There was a fair bit of wall banging going on, sometimes some revenge via circuit breaker. I started out across the hall from a guy with a powerful stereo system and a penchant for horrible doo-wop like Sha-Na-Na - pure hell with onions on it...
A certain 3-way speaker from Popular Electronics (Thrifty Three?) was all the rage then - I think I remember Scott testing his finished set in the hall using Jimi's "Star Spangled Banner". Maybe he was also the culprit who fired up a speaker with a variac and found all the resonances in the long common dorm floor hall (maybe not, but it happened)...

Last edited: