The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Compare the size of the two ships by clicking on the pic on the left. Something fishy, no? I mean WTF?

It is a base / factory ship for the trawlers to use as a depot/storage unit - rather than each trawler having to go back to base every time it is full, it goes to the 'mummy' ship and refuels, takes food etc on board and dumps its catch. They are a LOT bigger than trawlers!!

22MIL$ for the rebuild! Thats the F!;) [Seems to me that beyond a certain level money has absolutely no meaning.]

What is the mooring charge for a 42m boat in a suitable status dock?

What is the crew compliment and cost?

What will the insurance premium most likely cost?

And, what is the likely % depreciation and annual maintenance bill?

When these questions are answered then ask yourself what is the amount of capital employed to fund the purchase and five years ownership. ;)

Audio is CHEAP!!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
22MIL$ for the rebuild! Thats the F!;) [Seems to me that beyond a certain level money has absolutely no meaning.]

What is the mooring charge for a 42m boat in a suitable status dock?

What is the crew compliment and cost?

What will the insurance premium most likely cost?

And, what is the likely % depreciation and annual maintenance bill?

When these questions are answered then ask yourself what is the amount of capital employed to fund the purchase and five years ownership. ;)

Audio is CHEAP!!

Having owned small sail boat I can testify to the fact that the happiest day in a boat owners life is the day they sell it..... :D:D:D

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Brian,

I know it's a processing ship but the news story calls it a Trawler. I am still laughing that an American fish boat is larger than one of our Frigates. :D

The fishy boat iz bigger than our Frigates too Cal. Frigates are small by design to fill the mission they are intended for. The good news iz that the frigate haz a bigger gun than the fishy ship..... THAT makes a difference!!!:D:D:D

..........and there was me thinking that you may just be as dumb as the rest of us here! :rolleyes: :D:D:D

Hush my mouth!

I could answer only because Carol - who would not be seen dead on a thread like this - pointed out the fact to me!:p

So I looked at Google Pics ....under search "trawler"....just try it....you will laugh your belly out when you see what they would have us believe are trawlers!:eek:

P.S.:

I've been fishing - after 4pm each day since Saturday - (No Sunday fishing in Scotland- Moderators say so) - and have caught fish from 8 through 18 lbs with fish every day and a total of 9!!:):):)

Last edited:
Audio is CHEAP

Cheap location, $25K a year
Nice spot, $200K.
Antibes, half a mil.

Crew cost, few hundred thousand a year minimum. (a >50 year old captain of a >50m superyacht does ~$500k)
Fuel >100k.
For a boat this size, ~1.5 million dollars a year minimum total.

A $30K car loses $5000 per annum in the first 3 years.
A set of loudspeakers lasts 20 year minimum, same for amps.
Ride a bike instead, hundred thousand dollar stereo set.

(reminds me of the story of the cyclist doctor collegue, who ran himself to recreational death on the streets a couple of years ago)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I could answer only because Carol - who would not be seen dead on a thread like this - pointed out the fact to me!:p

Great to see that she iz keeping you on your toes....:D:D:D

So I looked at Google Pics ....under search "trawler"....just try it....you will laugh your belly out when you see what they would have us believe are trawlers!:eek:

Hmmmmm - I guess that I need to either get a new search engine or check to see if SWMBO haz but a site blocker program into the one I have because all I get is rather boring looking fishy boats.... (not even any pretty gurlz to look at on 'em).

P.S.:

I've been fishing - after 4pm each day since Saturday - (No Sunday fishing in Scotland- Moderators say so) - and have caught fish from 8 through 18 lbs with fish every day and a total of 9!!:):):)

You are living a charmed life Brian!!!! Wonderful!!! :D:D:D

Attachments

• Trawlers.jpg
    Trawlers.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 77
....under search "trawler".
Yes but we have to accept that things change over time. I remember as a kid, many recreational boats were referred to as trawler style like the Grand Banks and Grand Mariners.
I've been fishing - after 4pm each day since Saturday <snip> and have caught fish from 8 through 18 lbs with fish every day and a total of 9
Sigh!
A $30K car loses $5000 per annum in the first 3 years.
In Canada it's 30% per annum from a tax point of view. Great investment if you are a leaser.