The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
what's the size of that little pinky ?

well , I'm interested - did you had opportunity to hear some bigger cones , in range of 92-94db/W/m , to compare what you have now and to think what approach you like more

indeed , at least for my two cells banging inside my scull , FW amplification is more of that story - biggish (7-8") main driver + really fast bass helper
fast means lowish Le , decent motor and light cone

not urging ya to see world with my eyes , just explaining my fave ...... ( OK , one of ) approach

Its 4". Only big speaks i have heard are guitar versions. Not listened to any FR larger than 6". I came from multiway and magnapan world. Like FR because it offers a top to bottom coherence you dont get from other options. What you think about AN15. BudP seems to think they are decent. Cant afford any of the old treasures like RCA or Tannoy.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
look at sonido.hu - they're having english version of site , and look for data for their 12" and 15" drivers also for their 8"

just for information - 8" are in range of 300-350E for pair , while 12" are in range of 200+ E/pair
anyway - they're overseas for you but point is that best thing you can find for FW thingies is sort of old school driver , made with today's tech .
I already wrote up what main quality you need from bass ( and your subwoof is just that - subwoof , no matter how good is )
while , looking at main driver , in same time you need speed and delicacy but in same time old Yank saying is valid - you can't replace cubic inches .... for proper scale and dynamics , you need size

so - 7" as main driver is smallest drek I can except

so , conclusion - what you can see on that link is simplest approach one can use - going boxless and bafleless for FR is least troublesome ( NB that that baffle on pic is bigger than I would make , but I didn't make those boxes) , while MLTL box for bass helper is least boxie sounding solution and still economic/easy/fast to make

10 yrs ago I could live with FR in BLH , but I became spoiled with big cones after .....

MHead's Nirvana's ?

dunno , didn't heard them ; maybe they would click , maybe don't

anyway - one thing is sure - any FR in this world is wise to pay only after hearing

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
hard to say without direct comparison

pick one which is easier to get

unfortunately , if not going active - 12" Sonido is pair for their's 8"-ers , becuse 15" is having some db edge on them

that combo from my blog is proven , all you need is big honking Torobar choke for bass and some motor run cond for FR (and my fave MKC 1uF as bypass)

with their 15" one will need either upping autoformer (yuk!) or Bsomething active xover and dedicated amp

point is in speed and muscle of both - bass helper , and 8 " FR

or go with Lyn Olson 416 + horn route

or go MHead route

whatever you do - just go away from pinkies ; they're nice ...... but not potent and nice in same time

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
........ now I'm going to cascade and cascode 4+4 UGS6 , and will call it Gioconda Mic Preamp

:devilr:

Attachments

• MB Gioconda.jpg
    MB Gioconda.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 129