The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

so, related to my question a while ago about the angled aluminum.. I finally found some that I like and cut it to size. I'm needing to layout the holes for the devices, 16 TO-220s. They are PCB mount and I have a flange on the PCB that has holes for the devices. I started thinking though, is there any reason not to tap the aluminum angle itself, then secure the devices using a socket head screw into these tapped holes, then just secure the PCB to the underside of the angle bracket via a nut? For some reason I've always just drilled a hole without threading, but it seems that this might work better, no?

Also, I'd like to try the Kapton tape approach this time, for no reason other than to do something different. Any good sources and recommendations on parameters (thickness, type, etc.)? The angle bracket is 1" x 2" by 0.188" thick and the 1" side is where the devices will be located. I'm assuming this (Kapton tape) is what Papa uses, as the pics on the First Watt the isolators look torn off a larger piece. In this case, I'll need to use thermal grease on both sides of the tape, right?

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hey FastEddy,

Keep checking the same thread that you mentioned. We will eventually split it into a 2009 thread , but not for a while.

The economy has all of us pretty busy, and poor too!, so things like the website might not get much attention for a while.

For the same reason, we will need a lot of people to sign up in advance to pay the rental and other expenses, so if you know that you are going PLEASE SIGN UP !! Well not yet , because we don't have a sign-up list yet.. :D

Mark

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Magura said:

Yeah, we ought to get Variac in the bin for his amp talk here :rofl:

Magura :)

uff , couldn't find bearded one .....

:rofl:

Attachments

• variac.jpg
    variac.jpg