The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

True story, Papa.....

In a prior lifetime (last ten years, before I retired) we used similar technologies in a number of our phased-array radars. Very impressive stuff, we did--thanks to be budget of the DoD and our U.S. tax-payers.....

(And I had given up output transformers for Lent, once I discovered the F5)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
True story, Papa.....

In a prior lifetime (last ten years, before I retired) we used similar technologies in a number of our phased-array radars. Very impressive stuff, we did--thanks to be budget of the DoD and our U.S. tax-payers.....

(And I had given up output transformers for Lent, once I discovered the F5)

Ahhhh - another phased array puke!! I thought we were supposed to keep quite about using those things for stereo. :eek:

Ya otta see what we did with the Ionospheric Sounding toys!!!! :D:D:D

Joined 2006
Paid Member
No, the radar SiC-kle.

I've been retired for many years and no longer have any access to the info. Besides - the ones used for the radar's were similar devices - not the same thing that Papa had cooked up for him. Now if you had a "very special" bottle (or case) of vintage vino you could bring to BAF - well I'll let you and ZM and AR2 figure out how to get Papa into a corner and make him an offer "he can't refuse". ;)

SiC semi's in UHF Radars

Ahhhh - another phased array puke!!

Google on "AN/FPS-85" or "PAVE PAWS" to see what we developed and modified...... We were exploring SiC technology to give the AN/FPS-85 what we called a "6 dB upgrade"--that's a 6 dB power aperture increase from it's current 32 megawatt (yep.....MEGAWATT) capability. (Do the math, on that one!)

Our semiconductors were developed by NASA (Glenn Research Center), Corning Glass, and internal to our company. They showed lots of promise, and performance. Unfortunately, that UHF radar upgrade program was never fully funded by U.S. Congress. All we had built were about 100 prototype modules. I'm betting you'll never see any of the SiC semi's we used hit the commerical market place, for a number of reasons....(!)

How about nice (all-) SiT power amp.
(only $75 per stereo watt)

Attachments

• sit_5000front.jpg
    sit_5000front.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 203

Attachments

• DSC_00330001.JPG
    DSC_00330001.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC_00340001.JPG
    DSC_00340001.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
So if I understand it well, so Papa had to develop this thing, the Sit or Sic transistor, because his store is full of his otherwise unsalable 18V transformators.:cool:
As we said, there are so many of these things, that it can be build a dam on the Danube from them.

I think our Papa had us DIYers in mind too...and also being a DIYer at heart to experiment with his concepts these are the magic numbers for all of us -else it gets too expensive. :D

Of course he also specified it to work just as well with higher values for his monster amp sensibilities...:devilr:

Desmond Harrington

Here is one mystery uncovered.

Anyone who cares about industrial design, admires Pass Lab designs. All this years we questioned who did that awesome, unique and ground breaking design on Pass Lab amps. The circular 3D opening for the round bias instrument is Pass Lab trademark. I am sure that lucky owners are treating Nelson's amps like a sculpture displayed at the most prominent location. Rightfully so.

But, who is the one behind the design, we constantly asked. Mr. Desmond Harrington is the one responsible for such a design statement. Desmond worked for Krell, and in 90s he moved to Northern California to work with Nelson. The rest is history. I am glad that I could present to you Mr. Harrington, who would much rather me not publish this picture, but I just could not resist. :p

Attachments

• DesmondHarrington.jpg
    DesmondHarrington.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 139