The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project

@qusp that is a valid point although it's not something I've had much trouble with using decent audio gear. I've never heard any noises from my unbalanced O2 connected to either my unbalanced iPod Touch or Sansa Clip+ along with the unbalanced (albeit short) cable connecting them. It has a lot to do with the PC board layouts in the devices. Even a fully balanced device can have loop areas that are susceptible to noise pickup if the layout is not fully symmetrical with respect to not just component placement but ground currents, etc.

RocketScientist;2796834 @Balanced Audio said:
more[/I] distortion and more noise than its unbalanced twin. It's also important to remember headphone drivers cannot tell if they are driven by a balanced signal or if one side is grounded--nor do they inherently perform any differently.

The main benefit to balanced audio is to avoid cable noise pick up in long cable runs. This makes it essential for live sound applications where audio cables are run long distances along with noisy stage lighting wiring, etc. It's also useful in recording studios for the long runs they typically have. For home headphone audio, however, cable noise is rarely an issue even with single-ended unbalanced cables. So balanced headphone audio is usually a big waste of money and often a step backwards in performance.

I agree except in cases where one wants to drive an inefficient headphone with an IC opamps based amplifier as a budget solution, where 7Vrms just doesn't cut it as outlined in your "power blog", in that case balanced/bridged is the only option short of a discrete opamp where +-30V rails can be handled. Its a case of economics though, you are much better served with a SE discrete opamp (like the Betta 22/Dynahi) running +_30V rails, than a balanced IC opamp based amp running balanced (one is just a lot cheaper to implement.)

For modern phones and modern DAC's its best to properly transform the differential dac ouputs to single ended in order to get the CMRR required for S-D DAC's to come close to their datasheet specs. Whether this should be done in the DAC or the amp is debatable, but I agree fully, waiting to do it at the headphone is crazy.

But certainly no one would advocate not utilizing the balanced output of a S-D dac chip and just leaving one output pin in limbo as I have seen done in many compromised designs (ala DLIII). I really don't think you aren't advocated this practice?

I am convinced that the whole balanced headphone trend originated with weak SS amps, adding 2 channels gave from 2 to 4x the power and the folks that didn't understand what was going on saw the different headphone jacks and viola the balanced headphone became a must have.

Last edited:
@regal, agreed. That's one of the benefits of bridged outputs when power supply rail voltage is limited. I talk about that in the 3 Channel article. But there just are not many current headphones on the market than need more than the 7 - 9 Vrms you can get from 12V or 15V power supply rails with a better performing conventional "unbalanced" amp.

Agreed, but they are out there, especially with you beautiful expose' of power requirements for high dynamic range recordings, and those when one encounters when monitoring/mixing raw recordings. But for 99.9% of younger buyers/non-heavy sound reproduction engineers or enthusiasts 7-9vrms is plenty.

Some of this may be old news to some, but the official name is "ODA" for Objective Desktop Amp. There's some early info, if you haven't seen it already, towards the end of the O2 Summary article (under "WHAT ABOUT A DESKTOP ONLY VERSION?").

In addition to what's linked above, the latest news is the ODA DAC daughter board. As I've mentioned in this thread, the current plan is for a relatively simple, small, single board USB DAC option that supports true high-resolution 24 bit audio at native 44, 48, 88 and 96 Khz over USB (something relatively few DACs can do regardless of what 24/192 DAC chip they use and virtually no DIY DACs support 24 bit USB).

The DAC complies with the USB Audio standard and hence has native driver support, even at 24/96, built into Windows, OS X and presumably Linux. This is in contrast to most high resolution pro audio interfaces, and the open source AVR-based DIY DAC, that require proprietary drivers.

The DAC board will "piggy back" on top of the headphone amp board as a daughter card and there will be a switch to select the line input or DAC as the source.

I'm currently testing the DAC board and it offers well in excess of 16 bit performance (many "24 bit" DACs don't) providing a significant benefit for those using software volume controls compared to a 16 bit USB DAC. It also has very low jitter and respectably low distortion. Like the O2 and ODA, it's a minimalist design focused on maximum performance for the lowest cost.

As previously mentioned, for programming, licensing, testing, and SMT reasons, the DAC daughter board will only be sold pre-assembled (but not by me and I will not receive any revenue or profit). So you can build your own ODA and then just solder the DAC board on top.

For those wondering why not full DIY, there are no USB solutions that I know of supporting 24 bit operation that can be purchased and used off-the-shelf in a DIY project without requiring at least programming. And the better solutions are only available under license and/or other contractual agreements. That makes a full DIY DAC very difficult as DIYers can't buy the chips, and even if they could, they require proprietary programming before use. The only exception I currently know of is the AVR solution already mentioned but even it requires programming and extra hardware to do so. It also requires a proprietary driver for use.

I'm hoping to publish the first ODA article and start the first thread here in diyAudio in the first part of December (the next few weeks).

Any chance of supporting coax or optical? I typically use a CD player at home rather than a laptop for the music.

Thanks Sofaspud and Dewardh. I keep trying to point that out. Hopefully we can move on to more productive O2 topics than how polite the amp is some circumstance with unusably low batteries.

I am curious if anyone has tried driving "difficult" headphones with their O2? While I've done all the math for some obvious candidates like the Beyer DT800-600, Audeze LCD-2, some HiFiMan planars, certain power hungry AKG models, etc. it's useful to get real-world reports from those who actually own power, voltage, and/or current hungry headphones.

@timjthomas, sorry but there are currently no plans for S/PDIF as it would add significant expense that few will use. The analog output of your CD player may well be just as good. See the Matrix Audio Challenge--they compare a cheapo bargain Sony CD player's analog output to a high-end Wadia and nobody could hear the difference.

Last edited:
@timjthomas, sorry but there are currently no plans for S/PDIF as it would add significant expense that few will use. The analog output of your CD player may well be just as good. See the Matrix Audio Challenge--they compare a cheapo bargain Sony CD player's analog output to a high-end Wadia and nobody could hear the difference.

Well that is good to know! Thanks!!

I have all of my CDs ripped (both FLAC and mp3), but have yet to really here a decent sound out of a PC -- as compared to a simple CD player. This is probably due to the "poor PC setup" we have at work. (Just to clarify, I am not stating that PC Audio is bad, only that I haven't gotten it "good yet.")

Last edited:
Evidence of no difference is not proof of equality. That is a logical fallacy.
I think it's fair to say "PC audio can sound just just like CD audio." I'm not saying it always sounds the same. But to a great many listeners, in blind tests, they can't tell them apart.

And an entirely objective technical argument can be made the exact same bitstream can be made to appear in both cases at the input to the DAC itself. This can indeed be proven objectively.

I think it's fair to say "PC audio can sound just just like CD audio." I'm not saying it always sounds the same. But to a great many listeners, in blind tests, they can't tell them apart.

And an entirely objective technical argument can be made the exact same bitstream can be made to appear in both cases at the input to the DAC itself. This can indeed be proven objectively.

I do not doubt you at all. At work I'm quite certain it is not possible as our IT group has the PCs tied down such that I can not install any SW or set things up properly.

At home I'm sure I could. However, I like being able to select a CD or LP and read the liner notes while listening to the music. (Not claiming any of it sounds better -- only that there are really no liner notes while listening on the PC.) I also find that if I have the PC up, I end up surfing the web instead of paying attention to the music.

Not sure what happened to my post, but I do believe that PC audio can sound as good as CD. What I miss with PC audio, is the selection of the music -- either CD or LP and reading the liner notes while listening. I listen to a lot of classical, so the CDs & LPs always come with some interesting reading.

I find that if I listen to the PC, I end up surfing the web instead of listening to the music.

I like the process of walking up to my CD (or LP) selection and deciding what to listen to.

Sorry for the "double post."

Last edited:
My PC sounds better when I have a high impendance device plugged into it. The hiss goes away and some more details reveal themselves. The best is when I have my quality DAC and Amp plugged into my PC. It's so much better that way. Every CD player I've ever had has been prone to interference noise, and some PC audio has been that way, but not with my DAC/Amp combo.

I've played with "enhancement" software, but there are always trade-offs and I usually don't play that game. When I'm in the mood I like SRS Audio Essentials best.

@timjthomas, A lot of people file their liner notes of their ripped CD's either in clear sleeves in 3 ring binders or file boxes of the right size to stack on a shelf. But you do have to go find them.

That sounds like a good idea! (I guess I'm just old fashioned :))

So, to get the thread back on board, any idea on when the desktop version with DAC would be "ready?"