The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project

rocketscientist, are you going to release the maxxed desktop version anytime soon? :)

Define "soon"? :rolleyes: I really don't know. I think I said "this fall" and I still hope to achieve that. Right now I'm still spending time on the O2.

Speaking of the O2, the proto PCBs are "out for delivery" and I'm expecting them today if all goes well. I'll be building one up ASAP once they arrive.

Perhaps you might want to start your own thread with a design using the high voltage LME49xxx parts?

No thanks! :)

But one other semi-related suggestion. If you happen to use adjustable regulators on the desktop version (LM317/337 etc) an idea would be to bring a rail voltage adjust pot out the front panel. The control could be labeled something like "600 ohm" for 16V or whatever your favorite high(er) voltage is, "80 ohm - 250ohm" for the 12V and "16 ohm" for 6V or so.

On the upper end that would provide more voltage for 600 ohm cans, however nutty the idea may be, and on the low end provide even more protection for low impedance cans.

But one other semi-related suggestion. If you happen to use adjustable regulators on the desktop version (LM317/337 etc) an idea would be to bring a rail voltage adjust pot out the front panel. The control could be labeled something like "600 ohm" for 16V or whatever your favorite high(er) voltage is, "80 ohm - 250ohm" for the 12V and "16 ohm" for 6V or so.

That's an interesting idea. Are the adjust voltages/currents symmetrical between the 317 and 337? A switch might be a better solution. There's still the chance for "operator error", however using the high rails with say AKG K701s or planars and the O2 might die.

I know there are several headphone amps that use a DC-DC converter that can run at 2 or more rail voltages. It's pretty cool idea to help further adapt the amp to your headphones (especially where battery life is an issue).

Great! Once we get the alignment issues verified and everything we can see about getting the GB together!

I’m not sure if it would be possible, but maybe we can also get a group buy going for cases as well. Once I hear something back about the alignment issues and everything, I'll try and jump on the ball about getting things started, and finalized with everyone!

It might be worth doing a "Group Buy interest check" to see what level of interest there is.
I myself would be in for at least 25 of the "portable" front panels.

I'm also wondering how many of the builders are going to do the "desktop" style case, which would require both front and back panels, with RCA's added to the existing "front" panel, but without the volume control(which would go to the back), and a simpler new desktop front panel with the volume control, 1/4 jack, LED power light(that's what I'm planning anyway), and a logo.. If we get enough interest in those as well, it would save everyone some money (and I would need about 19 sets of them..)..

We could discuss the finer details of the logos, etc, until the alignment issues have been resolved. Hopefully in the meantime, we'll get critical mass on the GB interest list that will save everyone some serious money

JD

I have the boards and I'm building one up now. So far I can report the pots, both the 15mm and 20mm shaft Alps and 15mm and 20mm "star" (T16) shaft Bourns work exactly as designed with the desired clearance between the knob and front panel.

Two different FPE front panels have been confirmed to fit. But the 3.5mm jacks don't quite live up to their drawing by a tiny fraction of a millimeter. It seems the 3.5mm jack openings need to be a tiny bit higher on the panel.

I'll let everyone know once I get the board done if I encounter any fit or performance problems after testing it on the dScope analyzer.

I'll also report back on modifying the battery terminal footprint to accommodate the Keystone as well as the existing Eagle parts.

@agdr, you're correct. Mouser has several "house brands" as do some of the other big distributors (i.e. Multicomp at Farnell/Newark, etc.). Other companies have exclusive relationships with distributors like CUI and DigiKey which creates essentially the same single-source situation.

I've modified the board so hopefully both the Eagle and Keystone battery terminals will now work. I'm just double checking everything but the new files should be available today.

@agdr, you're correct. Mouser has several "house brands" as do some of the other big distributors (i.e. Multicomp at Farnell/Newark, etc.). Other companies have exclusive relationships with distributors like CUI and DigiKey which creates essentially the same single-source situation.

I've modified the board so hopefully both the Eagle and Keystone battery terminals will now work. I'm just double checking everything but the new files should be available today.

That's great since Keystone happens to be a real company that sells to multiple vendors.