the newbie and the jaguar - Alpair BVR construction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi everybody, i thought of starting a new thread about the process of building a BVR for a pair of Alpair 10, since one year ago i tought a BVR cabinet was too difficult for a newbie, so maybe this can be usefull to others newbies as well worried about attemping it.

also (since the design is now on the CSS site) if anyone else have built them or is in the process of, this can be the place to share.

Scottmoose,
since i don't see anyone already around i don't really understand if the design is ready or still needs some fine tuning: i didn't want to bother you directly, so i tought a thread was a clever idea (if it is not, it can be deleted of course).

Last edited:
i've seen the the frugel-horn site has been updated, thanks people, that was one of the first pages i stumbled upon about diy audio and still one of the most inspiring...

regarding the Jaguar:

in this post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/85156-spawn-frugel-horn-161.html#post1825510 Les Winter says the side panels rings too much compromising the performance, is this something i should take care of or the three inside vertical/orizontal panels do already take care of this? if not what can i do from the inside?

do the BVRs gain anything from being on spikes? i see somebody is using them, but then i found no direct comparison on it...

also can i do some aesthetics mods to the design? having the mouth looking like the Riley^2, or would it adversly modify the performance?

i'm attaching a quick photoshop of the original Dave's drawings (sorry Dave for scratching on them :) ), can any of the three solutions i sketched for a base work, or a combination of them?
i would like the back to look completely detached from the floor... i prefer the third option, which i can also sand making it solid, maybe in combination with a center panel liker per second option...

please let me know before i cut that expensive birch ply :)

thanks again.

Attachments

• jaguar mod.jpg
    jaguar mod.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 640
hi people, nearly 300 views not a single input??

is there a reason to that? to silly questions? already answered elsewhere?

or is my avatar guilty of being unpolite and infriged some sort of netetiquete of the community here or in the past? if so then an answer is of most concern to me than the ones regarding the speakers.

hope everything is fine.

thank you rj,
i was thinking of having the base sand-filled, made directly one piece of side-panels, the dimension is just for sketch also... more than stability my concern is that i don't know what to expect from the mouth of a bvr in terms of vibration and resonance, don't know if it takes special care of this not to mess things up (so that maybe it's ok on the alpair 6, but not on the tuning of the alpair 10). my only need is that the sound their best, the look is just a sur-plus.

also i don't understand if it's fine to continue the mouth down it's diagonal lentgh or if the original shape at the end of the mouth is part of the tuning of the box.

Hi human.bin,

Dave (maybe Scott and Chris too -- not sure) came up with some aesthetically and structurally clever variations for a different Scottmoose double horn, the Maiko. I heard the red one built by Mssr. Phil Townsend -- it had a spine up the back filled with sand. It sounded fantastic and I hope to build one at some point.

Another gentleman, richidoo I believe, built a blue one which looked like a sea creature. Here is the thread, which at the very first post shows some variations. Dave combines additional bracing with interesting bases:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/112231-new-maiko-cabinet-feastrex-d5nf.html

Scott, when you find the time, please confrim me if making the very end of the mouth straight would screw it up or not, i don't intend to 'change the geometry' in any other way.

Can i ask if there is any reason the frequency response simulation is not show anymore on frugel-horn? it was quite informative to people choosing projects

I think he's refering to the flare profile of the mouth. Yes, changing it will mess it up.

Re the FR graphs, we decided to pull them largely for that reason -contexts were tending to get overlooked, with apples being compared to oranges. I suppose it's a problem largely of our own making, as there are lots of different types of boxes on the FH site, and many of them were intended for different things, which was not always obvious in a simple FR plot, if at all. Eventually, we decided that they were starting to cause confusion, and that it was time for them to go. They might make a comeback at some point, but don't hold your breath -time is the enemy.

Last edited:
this is it: everything else (inclination, dimensions, distances) being the very same except the detail in the red circle.

anyway thanks for a very fast reply

i know things look a little messed up and different in my sketch, but they are not.

Attachments

• jaguar mouth detail.jpg
    jaguar mouth detail.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 276
yes, it makes sense, so i can do it. i tought it could be a problem since the original jaguar was ending with a parallel piece at end of the mouth, but this last drawing is exactily want...

i would explain my self better first if my english was not so lacking... you know, when i'm not under osx i don't have that precious oxford dictionary coming out of spotlight and i'm lost... :)

thanks people! i'll be cutting wood soon :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.