The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

@Byrne, I have Parallels installed, but I can never get it to connect. Do you have windows set up in Bootcamp?

Hey Timbre,

I'm also using 10 on Parallels. I'm trying to wrap the CAD design for my cabinets so that I can get them constructed next week, which is when I'm guessing I'll get my 253s; I was going to wait until the monitors were done, but I can try to hook it up and let you know what happens as soon as possible.

From the manual :
Page 5 : “For best performance, theFusionAmp should be installed in a sealed compartment of your speaker cabinet.”

Page 13 : “The FusionAmp is not airtight. For optimal performancethe module should be installed in a separate compartment in the speaker cabinet.”

“The compartment in which the FusionAmp is fitted should be constructed of V-1 classmaterial. Additionally, a layer of V-0 class material should be fitted, on the innerside of the cabinet, at both sides of the amplifier module”

I understood it so, that the plateamp should not be in same airspace with the drivers, thus separate, sealed compartment. Reason may vary (venting behaviour for bass, also vibration can damage some electronics). The plateamp itself is not airtight, because it needs to be cooled by circumventing air. So don't isolate the amp from air that surrounds the cabinet.

For a 4-way stereo loudspeaker, up to 4 of these plates have to be daisy chained using the digital I/O. How do the plates remain in sync for the digital audio stream. Does it not introduce timing errors between the different ways and left/right?

Is it a raw s/pdif daisy chain, or a buffered/regenerated one? If the former, the delay is less than one sample, so no problem.

I have a single FA122 up and running, sat nicely in its packaging box so far sounds good. I'll trying bridging the the amps and set the other one up as stereo, with the remote kit.

Just a couple of things people may find useful;

1) HFD works on my mac, running windows 10 in parallels.

2) The premade filters (flat/tweet/woof) are in zipped folders in the HFD zipped file, so make sure you go through and unzip all the folders if you want to use these to get running, as you cant see the zipped folder if you navigate through the HFD

3) The speaker cables that connect to the plate amp are about 1m long, which makes a nice change from the old ones that came with the UcD's.

4) Only the newest HFD download (4.7) has the Fusion Amp settings build in.

So far they sound good. Set up before was DLCP and x2 180UcD's, the nCore's seem to be offering a bit more control especially in the bass, and slightly more resolution? I have only loaded the FLAT filter that came with it, and haven't touched any of the biquad information. I need a mic first.

With my ear close to the speakers (Alpair 10) I can hear some noise, like high level oscillation, its present at all volumes, -90db, 25db, and I turned it full blast and it doesn't change, which is either noise coming from/through the DSP's/amps or more likely my rather rudimentary set up. Mac Pro-Optical-Fusion-temporary WAGO connecters (to run both speakers in Mono) Cat5 speaker cable-drivers. Mains has a low cost Tacima mains conditioner, but the Mac and two routers are all running off of it.

I also enabled Softclip, as I was a little worried at first, this could have an impact.

One other small thing to note, we had a back panel CNC'd to fit the FA122, I haven't checked if the CNC interpreted it wrong, or I misread the drawing, but its a fraction too small for the fusion to fit.

Now do I run them bridged to my Alpair full range drivers, or make a FAST set up with some Beyma 10" woofers I have laying around, or just leave the extra channel with some terminals so I can test other speakers with easy A/B switch?