The Mini-A

Just checking, on the very fist page, it says this about the Transformer:

--The suggested rails are +-15V. It draws approximately 1A. Remember that transformer in the corner you've been trying to find a use for? The one that wasn't big enough for anything else? Smile, little orphan trannie, it's your day in the sun...

This seems to imply a 12-0-12 torrid ... ( 2X if I go dual mono )

Thus, I was thinking this:

AS-2212 - 200VA 12V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp

It's a simple change of plan to get it in 15, but I'd rather order once! which would give the 18V rails mentioned above.

Dave

As a by the way, been reading through the chipamp.com BOM, and it seems to make sense to populate the caps at 50V and 22K uF ... If I decide to go bigger later, I will have the capacitance needed.

SLPX223M050H9P3 Cornell Dubilier - CDE | Mouser

sure, might as well. and get the matching tall (2") to220 sinks for the rectifiers if you have any intention of experimenting with high current.

Last edited:
A matching circuit

Dug around on the Pass site and found this:

passMatching.jpg

Did some more reading, and found this to help translate this to a proto board

groundDiag.jpg

bought a bunch of bits and bobs, looked up the data sheet to get GDS as the pin order with the chip facing out, put the parts on a proto-board, and added the traces.

Does this look right?

Translate2Wires.jpg

Before I get out the soldering iron, any thoughts appreciated.

Dave

Your proto board has 13.8v going to both resistors then on from each resistor to the source of each mosfet which isnt the same as the schematic. Of course youll need a heatsink and a large dc blocking cap on the output. I dont think this will work for you though. Its really a simplified schematic showing only the important bits the author is talking about at the time.

Dave, are you trying to match
the input irf9610 devices?
If so, the current with a 10 ohm
resistor is far too high. They
operate in the 10mA range in the
front end so something in the 1k ohm
range is more appropriate.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis;

What I am trying to do is test 2X IRF9610 at one go. I would guess thats why my layout does not match the pass schematic.

So, replace the resistor, easy enough.

Next post up, its mentioned that "of course youll need a heatsink and a large dc blocking cap"

Is there general agreement on the cap, and if so, values and location in the modified schematic.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

After a long time thinking, I have decided to go ahead and build the mini-aleph (quad channels) for some active speakers. Been using TPA3116 classD amps up until now. I have a SE tube amp (GTA SE40) and have always wanted to have an aleph. Just ordered brianGTs boards from chipamp.

I don't think I will need more than the 10watts of the mini-aleph since my drivers are 4ohms and rather efficient so I am hoping to build the mini version. I also really like the idea of a single output transistor and no need to match the output mosfets.

But I have a question about the rail voltage. Would 22v be too much for a single output MOSFET (IRFP240 or IRFP140)? I am debating between using IRFP240 or IRFP140 and will probably try both. I will also be building with an outboard power supply so that I can try switching-mode, linear and battery PS over time. I currently have a meanwell NES-150-24 (24v) SMPS and would like to reuse it (buy a second to get the positive and negative rail voltages). This meanwell SMPS is rated for 24v but can be adjusted slightly (mine can go down to 22.2v). If 22v is pushing too far for a single IRFP240 or IRFP140, then I will get a new pair of RS-150-15 and run them at 16.5v.
thanks in advance for any help.