The Metronome

@ Giantstairs - Well they are frankly excellent. The big Fostex Mets are just as valid a way to listen to your records...but there's something special about these Omni-Mets.

I think a look at the third octave spectrograph I posted when measuring these speakers in-room might be giving a not very subtle clue as to why they sound so good.

Now this is only my opinion, so anyone can point, laugh and shoot me down if they wish. The in-room response, shows me that the configuration of Allison 6 influenced, up-firing bass/mid and forward-firing tweeter is using the room rather than fighting with it, as the late Roy Allison was saying way back in the day.

It took me a good couple of years with the big Mets to get them to work properly in my small room. It wasn't so much the bass that was the problem, (as the whole "big Met" range afer my original FE108EZ Mets, was designed by Scott for wall placement) it was the midrange shout they exhibited, that because it was being squirted straight at my ears, nearly drove me up the wall. I tamed it with a rng of black-tack applied to the dustcap/cone interface, but it took some doing. However the Fostex FF225WK Mets now sound super, and no-one who has heard them with the black-tack mod has had any complaints.

Back to the Omni-mets. These are a different kettle of fish altogether. They sounded almost right, even in raw plywood form and lashed up with clip leads. They have a completely relaxing characteristic. By that I mean that they do not emphasise any part of the frequency range, and are unfatiguing. The soundfield they project, seems to be natural, unforced and widescreen, so that they can be enjoyed from anywhere in the room, rather than having to sit centrally for best sound. The front-firing tweeter provides the brain with location cues, so that the imaging, though not as pinpoint as the big Mets, is more than acceptable and actually the OmniMets are better in the front-to-back plane than are the direct radiating big Mets. This means that big classical recordings work very well on these speakers, giving a sense of being at a live performance. No hi-fi can give the visceral and emotional experience of being at a concert, but these semi-omnis do provide a good second best.

I think the thing with this particular concept and the way it works with the room, is that it seems to allow the music free reign to speak for itself, no matter what the genre, rather than forcing any particular presentation on the the listener.

They are a great addition to the Scott/Planet10 big range. The presentation will be different, due to the semi-omni operation, but I think, they complement rather than directly compete with that range.

last year i mounted some polk 7c speakers (upside down - tweeters on bottom) on the wall using TV mounts that allow horizontal movement & vertical adjustment to about 20 degrees.

the sound is really something. the mounts are placed about 5' off the ground WRT the center of the speaker and the sound really does disappear in that it doesn't fight to project in the room because it is placed just right for projection into the room.

Yes, I think speakers that work with the room are an essential requirement for shared enjoyment of a sound system by the whole family.

Speakers in the middle of a room are completely unacceptable in a family environment. Why the hell they ever gained kudos with the magazines is completely beyond my comprehension.

IMHO, speaker in the middle of the room syndrome is single handedly responsible for the demise of the good stereo system as a desirable item in the modern home.

The original Metronome was born out of that frustration 10 years ago and the OmniMet is a continuance of that emphasis on rekindling the old 50s/60s/70 idea of domestic acceptability coupled with proper hi-fi performance, so that good sound, whether it be from music, movies or gaming becomes accessible in the living room once more.

Last edited:
Grilles came this morning. Have got them fitted.
They're....er....strong and practical, but essential. :)

A29qblE.jpg

I tore myself away from the speakers and dismantled them for finishing.
Veneering is now completed:
fo3zefL.jpg

They will be left to stand 24 hours, after which the deep mahogany Danish Oil
finish will be applied.
Apologies for the grainy picture, but the crappy camera on my iPad is garbage in artificial light.
It also distorts perectives. The tops of the pyramids are smaller than they appear
and the bases are wider than they appear. IOW these speakers are a lot more "pyramidy" than they look in this pic.
These Omnimets remind me of something:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Steve - got any assembly photos?

These are the early stages of assembly, way before final trimming and shaping of the legs and arches. The pics show the interior partitions that form the two tapers for each half of the line.

View from wide end, up through the cab:
QQj5mjw.jpg

View from top of pyramid, down through the cab:
QrXjyPu.jpg

In the above images on the top one, the line can be seen expanding up, towards the cabinet base, whilst on the bottom image the line can be seen contracting downward, towards the cabinet base.
All this took a lot head scratching to translate my plans into actual bits of wood that were the right shape and had the correct angles cut into them. But we got there.

Another OM

Great work Steve, there aren't mamy commercial floorstanders that have taken this approach, but one your OmniMet brought to mind is the FJ OM - given a very positive review here - 6moons audio reviews: FJ Om. Though in the FJ design the crossover is at a lower frequency typical for a 2 way (2.2 khz). It's an interesting thing about omni designs that they often get better subjective reviews than measurements might suggest. There was a review of a Shahinian model (similar to pictured above) in Hifi Critic I think where Martin Colloms admitted that they sounded much better than the measurements - perhaps indicating that omni designs are hard to measure properly!

Cheers Ian,
IMHO the "problem" with omnis or semi-omnis, like the OmniMet, and the Om speaker you linked to, is that they are designed, deliberately to use the room as part of their presentation and therefore cannot be measured under the controlled conditions, favoured by the hi-fi press, so objectively are a moving target that can't be conveniently pinned down.

Last edited:
Thanks for the updated diagrams Steve, they make all the sense now.

I've been contemplating this whole thing this week. In my mind, one could start with a rectangular form, and "fold" the design by making it straight sided, and placing the upper portion of the taper centered inside the rectangular bottom. Giving you constant taper. I'm contemplating a Sketchup model of this. If I do one I'll share here...

John