The metal thread!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
here some bands I love to listen to:
Monster Magnet, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Vintersorg (my favorite is visions from the spiral generator), Meshuggah (absolutely great stuff), Six Feet Under, Obituary, AC/DC,
Knorkator( :D ), The Mars Volta.

Does anyone like Cryptopsy here?

I can't believe that no one here said MANOWAR :eek:

greetings
Christoph

heres my list, some have been mentioned but..

1. old Death (spent many a night with them at a Subway resturant in downtown Orlando, after shows eating meatball subs, lol)

2. old Testament (seen them at least 10 times)

3. old Kreator

4.old Sepltura (some of the first foriegn death/speed metal to arrive in the states late 80s?)

5. old Slayer (south of heaven still gets me going)

6. Marylin Manson ( probably my fav of the bunch)

7. old Nuclear Assualt ( remember them?)

8. old Sanctuary (great vocalist)

9. old Flotsam and Jetsom (Jason Newstead of metallicas old band)

10. old Metal Church ( Room with a view, great song)

most of these are from mid 80s to early 90s

Chris

Sorry to drag up an old thread but better than making a new duplicate. I've been on a huge metal kick lately. In the past I couldn't get into growly music, but I've acclimated to it over the years due to really being into Opeth (my fave), In Flames (earlier is better, but all is good, imo) and Lamb of God.

I've been on the discovery path. First, I found out which styles I like and which ones are just meh for me. I tend to really like a lot of the "progressive" metal bands, I like melodic death metal a lot, and I like a handful of other bands like Mastodon and Lamb of God that are thrash/doom/mixed, but typically don't find I like of other bands in the same subgenre.

Melodic Death:
In Flames
At the Gates
Dark Tranquility
been checking out Amon Amarth (ok)
Children of Bodom (only their early stuff)

Progressive:
Opeth
Mastodon (more a mix of styles)
Cynic
Ne Obliviscaris (freaking amazing stuff)
Persefone (!!)
Between the Buried and Me

Other:
Agalloch
Panopticon
Anciients (love this debut act, but they borrow heavily from Mastodon's sound)
Death (later is better than earlier for me)

In general I don't like Black Metal at all, even if a couple in the other list borrowed a lot of that sound.

When I was in high school in Seattle area grunge was just starting to take over. I had been listening to stuff like Iron Maiden, Ozzy and Metallica but soon got really into Alice in Chain and Soundgarden and soon also industrial like NIN, Ministry, Skinny Puppy. Oh and my buddy turned me onto Tool, that was about 91 or 92 and I've been a huge fan since.

I love a lot of progressive rock too, Porcupine Tree, Katatonia, Riverside, Aghora are some of my favorites.

Sorry to drag up an old thread but better than making a new duplicate. I've been on a huge metal kick lately. In the past I couldn't get into growly music, but I've acclimated to it over the years due to really being into Opeth (my fave), In Flames (earlier is better, but all is good, imo) and Lamb of God.

I've been on the discovery path. First, I found out which styles I like and which ones are just meh for me. I tend to really like a lot of the "progressive" metal bands, I like melodic death metal a lot, and I like a handful of other bands like Mastodon and Lamb of God that are thrash/doom/mixed, but typically don't find I like of other bands in the same subgenre.

Melodic Death:
In Flames
At the Gates
Dark Tranquility
been checking out Amon Amarth (ok)
Children of Bodom (only their early stuff)

Progressive:
Opeth
Mastodon (more a mix of styles)
Cynic
Ne Obliviscaris (freaking amazing stuff)
Persefone (!!)
Between the Buried and Me

Other:
Agalloch
Panopticon
Anciients (love this debut act, but they borrow heavily from Mastodon's sound)
Death (later is better than earlier for me)

In general I don't like Black Metal at all, even if a couple in the other list borrowed a lot of that sound.

When I was in high school in Seattle area grunge was just starting to take over. I had been listening to stuff like Iron Maiden, Ozzy and Metallica but soon got really into Alice in Chain and Soundgarden and soon also industrial like NIN, Ministry, Skinny Puppy. Oh and my buddy turned me onto Tool, that was about 91 or 92 and I've been a huge fan since.

I love a lot of progressive rock too, Porcupine Tree, Katatonia, Riverside, Aghora are some of my favorites.

Check out Draconian, Dark the Suns, Battlelore, Eluveitie, Equilibrium to name a few....good stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.