The Merits of Different Waveguide/Horn Types?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

After having done some research into waveguides and horns, I've come to appreciate their many benefits. However, the thing that I've found confusing is simply the sheer degree of different styles and types.

As such, I was hoping that you guys could help me figure what styles are best for whatever application the scenario calls for (Some context, I intend to implement the waveguide in a near/mid field style of studio monitor, where I'm essentially always in the sweet spot.)

But I digress, any sort of help and discussion on this matter is greatly appreciated

Many thanks and much love in advance, guys

for a different approach and high xover, consider a Karlson K-tube. The small area, and collapsing directivity require no EQ in the highpass network - it can be listened to up very close and basically "sounds good" A rolled 1"ID paper tube could be used as proof of concept - make it about 5.3" long, a 1/8" gap at the throat and half-ellipse slot. Transylvania's product had a slight downwards taper per Karlson inclined plane recommendations in his first "Acoustic Transducers" patent. Since I dabble in K-stuff, I tend to elevate the tubes about the same angle as the bass coupler (20-30 degrees above horizontal)

soundl3.jpg

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The main focus would be on maximizing the benefits of horns within the midrange
Waveguiding and loading tend to conflict, you need to decide which has the priority.

For example, waveguiding makes sense at all levels, calls for straight sided horns and added mouth termination, and is an easier decision at the highest frequencies.

Loading is more optional, is better with curved walls which create a widening directivity with lower frequencies.

You should know what directivity you want throughout the spectrum, at least until the room takes over.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.