The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

A few random thoughts...

I just reviewed my above posts. It is very interesting how similar the two drivers are. The 10F is 10 times more expensive and because of that, it is refined to the N th degree. It is going to be interesting to see what one gains in sound with that kind of refinement.

Also, for me personally, it is going to be interesting comparing the completed TC9 array to my completed Avebury System. When looking at the cost and size of each project, they are pretty evenly matched. The Alpair 12 was about $550 (as I got Planet 10's customized version), and the cabinets themselves is 72" tall, 11" wide and 17" deep. The arrays may require a little more wood, but they are taller also. I will more then likely prefer the arrays, as I am already sold on the concept, but it will be fun if others get the chance to hear both systems. Hopefully, I will learn more on how to get proper measurements, so that could help someone if they are deciding between two systems like this.

Anyway, first thing is first, got to get the First One built first. I am posting this photo here, as I know Wesayso has expressed interest in this kit.

Allen ;)

Attachments

• FO Parts Package.jpg
    FO Parts Package.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 431
Has anyone tested to see how the TC8 TC7 and TC6 compare? Is the TC9 top in the family or are the others of a similar quality barring minor differences?

Actually, there are 2 TC9's, The other one is the relative of the ones you mention. They are a new breed of drivers from Tymphany. Stamped steel baskets etc. No doubt the will share some things but the TC9 FD18-08 we are talking about is not like those others in build and heritage. It's more closely related to the Scan Speak 10F than to that new line up sharing the similar names if you ask me.

Interesting. Is this what they mean by "vented spider?" I can imagine the benefits for subwoofer drivers where large excursions are common.

Made me wonder if it would be clever to do what I did with my TC9 array with SS 10F's, running them all the way down to 20 Hz. I have doubts they would be qualified or capable on the low end of the spectrum.

532077d1455830604-making-two-towers-25-driver-full-range-line-array-fo-parts-package.jpg

:rolleyes: :eek: Looks like Xmas!

Last edited:
For those interested, the other TC9, the TC9 FD00-04:
Transducer Detail | Tymphany
attachment.php

attachment.php

Not at all like 'my preferred' TC9 FD18-08 driver looking at FR alone...
I do hope the old TC9 is here to stay. All other new drivers in the TC series seem to share the new stamped steel baskets etc. The old TG9 FD10-08 seems gone completely. The 4 ohm version is still listed.

Attachments

• fd001.jpg
    fd001.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 402
  • fd002.jpg
    fd002.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 410
I agree, even though the frame of the 'original' TC9 has a "damped plastic basket" according to the spec sheet. It does seem to perform rather well. The SS 10F basket is cast alu though. Funny thing is, the newer TC9 is more expensive a.t.m...

Don't show us scary pictures, Wesayso! I cannot imagine them yanking such a successful driver. Do I need to stock up?

I was thinking about that... stocking up.... :)

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
In my search for drivers, I bought a few models of the Tympany PMT series. They seemed interesting drivers, but I concluded that the Fs, even though below 300 Hz, was still too high. But imagine about 75 or so of these arrayed floor-to-ceiling. Good FR, almost no beaming. I think they would reach 80 Hz, which is where I am crossing the current arrays. HF performance would be closer to ideal. They are more expensive though... as in 75 of these versus 25 TC9s.

Attachments

• 264-1152_HR_0.jpg
    264-1152_HR_0.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Just for sake of comparison, the 10F has X-mech of about 7.5mm whereas the TC9 has X-mech of about 4.5mm.
And of course the TC9 is very high Q compared to the 10F, so it is naturally somewhat inefficient in frequencies lower than the Fs.

True, it would take only 70 watt to let the 10F do the same as 240 watt on the TC9.

Both versions of the 10F are marketed as "Fullrange". At least that's what their spec-sheet says.
I don't think with these small speakers with very small xmax you will see any real difference in performance with the spider open or closed. That is really a large air volume compared to the small motion of the spider.

I'm sure they had a very good reason to do this, why make several basket castings if you could have done all the versions, e.g. 4 ohm, 8 ohm etc.. with one.

The venting will be for the air mass behind the dust cap and not for the air behind the spider. From what I can see these are vented magnets with the hole in the back plate. You do not normally ever vent the air behind the spider through the magnetic motor, out the frame some way but not through the motor assembly.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
In my search for drivers, I bought a few models of the Tympany PMT series. They seemed interesting drivers, but I concluded that the Fs, even though below 300 Hz, was still too high. But imagine about 75 or so of these arrayed floor-to-ceiling. Good FR, almost no beaming. I think they would reach 80 Hz, which is where I am crossing the current arrays. HF performance would be closer to ideal. They are more expensive though... as in 75 of these versus 25 TC9s.

Does anyone have anything to say about these PMTs? I'd like to see someone else give it a try. The array would be very easy to build. No back chamber needed. Simply cut 3/4 inch holes in a baffle and poke these through the holes.

Attachments

• 264-1152_HR_0.jpg
    264-1152_HR_0.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
ra7,
Those look like the speakers used in the small Apple JBL sticks that you would see in an Apple store with something like 4 stacked. I'd think even with all of those stacked you would have a lot less surface area than the 3 1/2" speakers that Wesayso is using. Will you get any bass with those even with a stack of 75 per side? What is the fs of those speakers?

Interesting driver...

That shows promise...

ra7, what where your listening impressions of this driver?

I really like the off-axis Frequency Response. :up: The cost for 75 with the parts-express discount is $568/array, so double the TC9. That I do not think is unreasonable, if they indeed perform "better" for high frequencies. I wish I could find a CSD for these...

My concern is getting down to 80 Hz, as 75 of these only has an overall SD of 367.5 cubic cm, compared to the 907.5 cubic cm of 25 TC9s. And this driver has a "fixed" enclosure volume.

I am interested in how these would perform with high frequencies in an array. My gut is telling me, these would lend themselves better to a two-way design crossed between 200 and 300 Hz. If I was to do this myself, I would consider a line of small bass drivers. Thankfully, at 200 - 300 Hz, one could easily get the two lines close enough...

I wish I had more time to play, as I would like to try "brickwall" filters in DSP to see if one could eliminate the interference between two drivers in a two-way system...

I have been thinking about some of these concepts myself for my "Aspiring Array" build. Yet, from what I have seen so far, the compromises are too great to give up the true full-range nature of TC9 arrays... ...Or the endeavor seems too overwhelming to take on. :eek:

But I might be willing to include these in with my driver comparisons also. :)

From what You have experienced so far with these drivers as point sources, are they as flat as the chart shows and is their dispersion better then your current arrays? Also, how "smooth" are the highs, considering these are aluminium cones?

I hope some others would be willing to dig a little deeper on this also...