The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

In other news today :)...

Finally got my new rims, my car is dropped and I managed to clean it (partly before it got too dark):

I guess I'm officially in a midlife crisis :D.

VERY nice looking ride.

There are some people dropping their cars around here... and they regret is very quickly!
It's all bumps and alley accesses with a rise or drop, so they all get their front fenders broken off.

I have a truck! and even sometimes, I feel I need more clearance! :D

I only chose a slight drop, and Koni Sport shocks. It totally transforms the car. An instant love affair :D.
Still, it's one cm lower than Audi's top model of the time, the Audi TT Quatro Sport.
I've only driven low and stiff sports cars for years (for most of my life). So the Audi felt like a SUV to me.

I left enough clearance so I can safely travel our roads, speed bumps and what not. Most of the young Euro Scene
nowadays drop with wheels tucked into the fenders, sporting wide rims with quite narrow tires. I'm still old-fashioned
with wide tires and a sporty drop at max. I like the way it drives and how it looks. Like it means business.

(yeah, looking back at my rides I've always been in some sort of midlife crisis, as apparently, I never did grow up :D)

Somehow I always expected to end up with a big car collection, but in the end, i just like to drive them, not collect them as much.
But this has been the first time since I was 22 that I only have one car. Almost feels naked.

Last edited:
That is why there is a wonderful, and often overlooked function at the top of the forum called a "Search" button.

What I find disrespectful is someone barging in at more than 7000 posts thinking their opinion (all theoretical by his/her own saying) is way better and why no one has thought about it!?
I did mention that it had been discussed prior in the thread, but you brushed that aside and continued as the only expert who knows stuff, and you didn't want to see that maybe in this case, there was more to the story than your theoretical knowledge.

They have replied to you with actual data, but you keep coming back, mentioning some information you once saw at hificompass.
If that is your level of expertise that you brushed me away with, than we can safely put this aside and move on...

Hopefully, this little repartee might get you interested to know more about line arrays and seek out better information than what you think is happening.
I did at the time. I built myself smaller 16-driver per side line arrays just because I was curious. I learned a lot.

But I'm not holding my breath.
Cheers!
I worked for 10 years with line-arrays?
So I do think I have an understanding how they work.
I also do think a couple of things are being overlooked here.

Point is, ok fine if things have been discussed, just simply refer to the post instead of assuming that someone even has the time to dig through 7000 posts?
Not a single person in this world with a paid job has even that time?
That's just a bizarre thing to ask anyone.

fyi, I NEVER EVER said that my opinion is better?
That's words you put into somebody's else's mouth.

The only thing I did, is dropped an idea down.
What really puts me in the very wrong direction, is just the simple fact that somebody has a thought about a concept.
Instead of responding to it nicely, that person is basically leveled with the floor.
Not even considered that that person has to say.

I worked for 10 years with line-arrays?
So I do think I have an understanding how they work.
I also do think a couple of things are being overlooked here.
You have vented some, now it's my turn (again). If you believe some things have been overlooked, that's fine, that would be your opinion. It does come over to me that you really don't "know' me very well yet. Just because some things are done differently to the way it always has been done doesn't mean it was done 'by accident' or 'uninformed' or even 'wrongly' but it was done on purpose. I never just 'do' something. Lots of time is always spend researching (and weighing off the risks) before I even make a first move. So I could get all worked up just because you said 'overlooked'. ;)

--10 Years of what kind of array. I think we all would be way more interested in that than continuing this style of posts.--

Point is, ok fine if things have been discussed, just simply refer to the post instead of assuming that someone even has the time to dig through 7000 posts?
Not a single person in this world with a paid job has even that time?
That's just a bizarre thing to ask anyone.
The truth is, you never did respond to the actual words written. I typed in a lot of them, I know. But that's just my writing style because I want or try to to 'unload' my thoughts. I only got a partial reaction from you. You went over it quite quickly to get back to your ideas/suggestions. Nothing new (to me) was presented though, sorry.

Other members typed in their response as well, your rebuttal wasn't showing you got their true intend either? Post #7324 doesn't seem all that hateful or negative to me? Quite the opposite in fact. It just tried to explain that there is history behind the choices made. Yet, it fired you off, but it didn't say: go read it all. It was just meant to be informative towards you that there is history behind it all. At least, that still is how it reads to me.
fyi, I NEVER EVER said that my opinion is better?
That's words you put into somebody's else's mouth.
I see more than one doing that. Dropping your credentials to give it body worked against you in that regard. I get it that it wasn't meant like that. But words on a screen can always be given different meaning if you don't "see" the intent. I use emoticons liberally to express myself. Some times I think I overuse them. But it is quite hard to make sure the other party is "getting the point".
The only thing I did, is dropped an idea down.
What really puts me in the very wrong direction, is just the simple fact that somebody has a thought about a concept.
Instead of responding to it nicely, that person is basically leveled with the floor.
Not even considered that that person has to say.
Quite frankly, you dropped into a thread full of ideas, certainly not all mine. If it exploded on you it just might not be everyone else that is to blame.
I don't think I'll say more on this. This has always felt like a place where we could vent on all topics related to the subject without getting into this type of thing.
If it was new to you, it sure was new to us or this thread as well.
It's bad for my heart (lol).

Disclaimer: -- neh... that last sentence wasn't serious!--

Spending an afternoon trying to figure out how to distribute the impedance curves into valid groups.
It is slightly different than one would need for an unshaded array, as there is some added resistance to certain groups due to the added filters.
Basically the goal is to have an average equal impedance across the board for all groups. Making the average of the peaks line up as well.

Here's a first attempt, showing all 5 groups and the resulting impedance:
impedance-distribution.jpg

As seen, the groups don't have an exact peak match up, as it's hard to line it up that way due to the added resistance of the added filters.
The peak values line up though, and if all goes well, the other array will be the same. I first divided all drivers into matched pairs,
upon which I started to group them by their peak Hz value. From there on I created groups of 5 to have the average line up at the
same frequency. I could try to get the peaks to match as well, but more importantly, I wanted to see what it did for power distribution
with the filters in-line:

power-distribution.jpg

Power distribution with 100 watt applied to the array (8 ohm load, 5 series, 5 x parallel).

Red is the middle unfiltered drivers.
Black is the top group of 5, that only helps out on the bottom end.
Blue is the group that is split above (2 drivers) and below (3 drivers) the middle unfiltered group.
The remaining groups are quite similar, 5 on bottom end, 5 drivers below the black top group and above the split group.
The single line deviations are the notch filters I added later on. (to make up for the split up of the blue group)

I think I can live with this arrangement. Provided the other array looks similar :).

I tried a few different ways to sort the groups. As far as voltage or power distribution at the impedance peak goes, sorting them by impedance peak definitely had the best results.
That showed a very even distribution of energy at that point. However, the wattage used at the rest of the spectrum showed way larger differences. So in each group of 5 drivers, it looked like they did not (get to) use equal power, at least not as well as the prior way of grouping them.
I did tweak the results slightly to get each group as closely bundled as I could for power consumption over the widest area, while keeping an eye on the deviation at impedance peak.

power-distributionL2a.jpg

Had too much spare time as the weather wasn't that great to go cut some driver frames ;).