The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Remember you are most likely viewing 1080 upscaled to 4k by your tv processor. The upscalers do a pretty good job so there is very little difference between the upscaled 1080 and native 4k.

I was skeptical about 4k myself and held off buying a 4k tv for a long time. The real benefit is is in the screen resolution and most of that can still be had with 1080 content.

It will arrive tomorrow :eek:.

I have a GTX 1070 graphics card which will mean I can do a lot of pré processing with MadVR so the TV won't have to.

For instance, MadVR's smooth motion is said to be superior to the Truemotion of the LG (which is susceptible to the soap effect from what I've read).

So that may mean I will run some MadVR trickery. We'll see... I'm prepared.

Not planning to go too deep into it, what I was getting at is that if you want to play 24 FPS at 24 FPS on a 60 Hz screen, the TV does a 3/2 pulldown. Smooth motion would use 2 frame repeats, one blended frame, 2 frame repeats which looks exactly line 24 FPS. No interpolation, no artificial frames and no 3:2 pulldown judder on camera pans. Anyway, if I can playback at 120 Hz, I won't have any pulldown effect at all.

I've always preferred how that smooth motion feature looked on my Pana Plasma. It's the closest to 24 frame native replay on a 60 Hz screen.
The LG can do 120 Hz, which means a 24 FPS movie can be divided in 5 repeated frames.

Last edited:
What will be the big difference going from LCD or plasma to OLED is the black level, if you can control the light in your room. Not so much the resolution IMHO.
I have a CRT projector as my HT vision source and it can go totally black just as OLED can.
Nothing else can do that (besides the old direct view CTR televisions) be it panels or projectors.

My jaw is on the floor, just watching some movie samples trough MadVR.
(sorry, can't help myself, it does look better than regular feed trough)

Black really is black. I still need to adjust everything to THX specs (simple means, I have no real calibration tools, just the glasses ordered through the THX site and dozen of sample pieces and bits).

So far, I need to get used to this huge screen for normal TV viewing, for movies it is awesome!

I noticed the G-sync update on the LG's :)
I've read quite a bit of reviews, forums etc to know what I was getting into with this TV.
I actually use the game mode as the Home Theatre environment. The PC mode is somewhat crippled on the LG's so it seems.

So far I like what I see (understatement). I spend this afternoon hanging it on the wall, some things had to be altered or moved as this TV is quite a bit bigger. Had to shorten a windowsill to get enough space. It's still hanging quite a bit off center as I won't move or alter the window we have in that wall :).

Hopefully next weekend will be dedicated to the subs again. As soon as I finish those I'll take a picture of this change.

I'm loving this TV, the movie mode is extraordinary when playing the clips in 24 frame mode from JRiver. It even has the option to turn on black frame insertion, which playing back at 120 Hz seems to work, but I can't say I prefer it over the native judder free playback.

The 120 Hz makes playback of 24 frame content smooth, without the 3:2 pulldown judder (you'd get at 60Hz). Just as it should be/look for Film.

Even my old 25 frames/s content (DVD PAL) can be slowed down to 24 frames/s with Videoclock active in JRiver. The upscaling is partly done in MadVR (up to 1080p), it still is quite presentable to watch, even on this 4K screen. Somehow I can't get 4K through my long HDMI cable.

60 frames is kept at 60 frames, I doubt if I have real 50 frame content.
Picture quality is awesome, even if I feed it 1080p. I must say I still prefer MadVR over just a regular feed. Whenever there is more scaling needed that difference becomes even larger.

I've had quite a bit of fun to go through all of the options/modes and love this screen more and more. Those setting linked by Robbintip definitely give a good starting point. For PC I first had to do a couple of other tweaks and I adjusted the overall colors using my THX glasses. The results are worth it!

In other news, the Rockford Fosgate covers (cat protectors ;) are in, so I can think of a way to get them into place. They are indeed about ~289mm as I had figured from the pictures. I think the look will grow on me.

As this new TV brings a lot of joy to watch movies (not only my opinion :)), I better get off my butt and finish those subs! Finally the screen somewhat fits the sound...

The protective screens are indeed about 289mm which means I need to cut into my fancy fresh layer of epoxy/boat paint ... :eek:
I wish I would have taken this "cat threat" more serious when I was still in the design phase. It has been on my mind, but why didn't I act on it sooner, oh well... off to the garage to see what i can do about it now.

Last edited:
Cat protector is on...

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had to cut a groove to fit it (original hole was 280mm, protector was ~290mm).

I used the router table and covered the surface of the table with a towel to protect the paint. Worked like a charm. I glued the protector in place (Bison Polymax, a rubbery glue) and also used small nails to make sure it will stay there. Space between dustcap and the grille is just over 25mm to cover x-mech (not x-max) distance. The screen is bent inwards in the middle, the surrounds have plenty of room to move.

Not as pretty as seeing the naked driver but it will do. This Rockford Fosgate protection screen was the most open screen I could find.

Attachments

• cat-protection.jpg
    cat-protection.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 661
  • catprotection2.jpg
    catprotection2.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 707
Last edited: