The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

I still have this one that could function as a raw test mule...
testbox.jpg

Re-inspired by all of your work, I decided to reconnect with my DRC trial and errors! :)

I thought my setup differed so widely from your line arrays that my OBs might not be able to benefit from DRC so much, having all these reflections from the back, ceiling and floor.

Probably out of pure luck, I have achieved a level of "purity" in the sound I have never been able to reach, until this afternoon. Hey, I'l take it!

This time around, I decided not to cut corners and get a real PC to run REW, JRiver and DRC, all from the same box.

I have the miniDSP doing initial massaging of the FR. Then I have RePhase FIR filters to apply the Harsch XO @ 350Hz between the big 15" woofer and the TB 1772 full range in the miniDSP as well.

I used JRiver and DRC to come up with convolution files and added that to the chain.

That got me a very nice FR starting at 40Hz with a gentle slope, hitting -3.5dB at 20kHz. I thought I had saved the graph, but looks like I lost it... I'll redo it on Wednesday and share.

After this, I added a 2dB bump at 3000Hz. Q=0.7, as I like what it does to vocals, give them air to breathe. I also checked the "Effect" with "None" as space, and "Subtle" processing.

Played through my usual demo songs playlist.... mesmerized.

Could distinctively discern that Nils Lofgren plays with nylon strings, and some of the keyboard parts in your Infected Mushroom track were playing way over my head. That was the most 3D sound I have ever achieved.

I haven't had time to add you guys M/S sound processing via the FabFilter plugin. That will be next on the list.

Spectrograph is still far from perfect, but I expected that with OBs. That's where your arrays shine, limiting floor and ceiling bounce.

Having listened to a step down version of LA, and my OBs, I do believe I like the openness of the sound OBs provide. But that is so subjective, I won't even go there.

Once again, thanks for being so compulsive at attaining the best sound possible, never giving up, and infecting others! :)

Re-inspired by all of your work, I decided to reconnect with my DRC trial and errors! :)

I thought my setup differed so widely from your line arrays that my OBs might not be able to benefit from DRC so much, having all these reflections from the back, ceiling and floor.

Probably out of pure luck, I have achieved a level of "purity" in the sound I have never been able to reach, until this afternoon. Hey, I'l take it!

This time around, I decided not to cut corners and get a real PC to run REW, JRiver and DRC, all from the same box.

I have the miniDSP doing initial massaging of the FR. Then I have RePhase FIR filters to apply the Harsch XO @ 350Hz between the big 15" woofer and the TB 1772 full range in the miniDSP as well.

I used JRiver and DRC to come up with convolution files and added that to the chain.

That got me a very nice FR starting at 40Hz with a gentle slope, hitting -3.5dB at 20kHz. I thought I had saved the graph, but looks like I lost it... I'll redo it on Wednesday and share.

After this, I added a 2dB bump at 3000Hz. Q=0.7, as I like what it does to vocals, give them air to breathe. I also checked the "Effect" with "None" as space, and "Subtle" processing.

Played through my usual demo songs playlist.... mesmerized.

Could distinctively discern that Nils Lofgren plays with nylon strings, and some of the keyboard parts in your Infected Mushroom track were playing way over my head. That was the most 3D sound I have ever achieved.

I haven't had time to add you guys M/S sound processing via the FabFilter plugin. That will be next on the list.

Spectrograph is still far from perfect, but I expected that with OBs. That's where your arrays shine, limiting floor and ceiling bounce.

Having listened to a step down version of LA, and my OBs, I do believe I like the openness of the sound OBs provide. But that is so subjective, I won't even go there.

Once again, thanks for being so compulsive at attaining the best sound possible, never giving up, and infecting others! :)

Glad to read some of this stuff worked for you. :)
It's way too much fun trying stuff out (and hopefully learn a thing or two in the process).
Keep the experiments going! I know I had a whole lot of fun doing mine.

Is that a Line Array seed.? How long does it take to grown one ;)

:D

No idea when I find the time for more experiments like that center helper idea...

For the moment I'm really enjoying the tonal balance I have right now. Playing with balancing out all of the channels and mid/side volume as well.

Lots of variables to play with without big disruptions in the tonal balance. For me, tonal balance will always be key point #1.
However managing to combine it with "3D" or "holographic like" presentation is definitely a big plus.
Pretty happy with what I've got so I won't be disappointed if the center project does not work out...

Here's my update curve, as promised:

With some EQ massaging within the miniDSP HD, and Harsch XO between the 15" woofer and the 1772.

attachment.php

Then, applying the convolution file. It's a bit smoother, but the biggest improvement is the imaging.

attachment.php

Attachments

• miniDSP.jpg
    miniDSP.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 438
  • withCONV.jpg
    withCONV.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 424
Had some (very) little drivers shipped to me.

At first, I thought it would just be for fun.

The Tectonic TEMB35C10-4 had such a nice FR plot from the company, and great polars, I just had to try, especially since they ship directly from here, with free shipping! I ordered on Thursday, they were here on Tuesday... pretty cool!

Started with one on a cardboard OB, because they don't have a lot of space to breathe and it was just easy. Not bad for this little thing, had some nice sweeps, nice wide dispersion with -4dB at 45 degrees from 10kHz and up, and a sweet impulse.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• BMR1.png
    BMR1.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 378
  • BMR FR.jpg
    BMR FR.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 385
  • mini single OB.jpg
    mini single OB.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Since I had 4 of them, I just had to... with the nice numbers from a single unit, how would they fare together? So, I stuck them into some foam board, still OB, and gave it a shot. I was in a hurry, and well... the holes were not perfectly evenly distributed!

Now, these things are SMALL. The flat cone is barely 1.25". When Tectonic says it is a 2" driver, they include the bezel... They do make it up with an 8mm Xmax.

As you can see, the combing is quite severe starting at 10kHz. Could it be the very wide dispersion pattern affects them more than a regular cone speaker?
Impulse also is not as clean.

I will probably try to figure out what kind of a sealed box these need and try this again... maybe that back wave from OB, along with the wide dispersion affects them more.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4BMRs IMP.jpg
    4BMRs IMP.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 370
You are measuring at a distance of 1 m from the drivers. Comb filtering should decrease at practical listening distance, 2 m at least. Again, comb filtering should decrease for a full array. Try some smoothing. Your eyes will feel better! For ears, such fine combing may not matter at all.

Never tried a BMR. But the post 2 - 3 second ringing seems to be coming from your room and not your drivers.

Dispersion specs are seriously good :)

Are you planning on a floor to ceiling array?

Yes, these measurements were taken 1m away.

I was expecting the comb filtering would not be so intense, as I experienced when I built my 16-driver line arrays a while back. They were in sealed enclosures.

As I moved the mic to the listening position, about 2.5m away, it was just as bad. Hmmm...

attachment.php

Yes, again, the ringing is my very reverberant room. :(

Yikes, a floor to ceiling LA using these... that's about 41 units per column to match the height of 25 TC9 ....

Attachments

• 4BMR FR listen.jpg
    4BMR FR listen.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,815
Made a quick and leaky "sealed" enclosure, filled it with pillow stuffing just to make sure I don't have a back wave like in the OB.

Winisd said about 0.85l for a single driver. This little box is about 4 litres.

Color me impressed. Those little 4 units keep the tone all across my huge couch, which is 3m wide!

There is only one little box with these 4 units, and standing at 45 degrees is almost as good as right in front of them. That's some kind of horizontal dispersion!

Check out the 1m and 1m at 45 degrees differences...

Then, have a look at what they do at 3m away, at listening position in the center of the couch. Nice! Impulse is not too shabby either. The spike at 6.5ms is my back wall behind the couch. I still need to devise something to take care of that.

There is no tweaking done. All just straight plugging, no JRiver, just plug output to amp, mic to sound card.

Now, I'm thinking... short array with 9 miniBMR drivers each, sandwiched between two 8" woofers that would take the low end up to about 400Hz, where the miniBMR would take over all the way up. It would mean playing with a crossover though...

PS. I forgot to measure dispersion vertically. Next on the list.

Attachments

• BMR sealed 1m.jpg
    BMR sealed 1m.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,524
  • BMR sealed 1m 45 deg.jpg
    BMR sealed 1m 45 deg.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,509
  • BMR sealed list pos.jpg
    BMR sealed list pos.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,513
  • BMR sealed IMP list pos.jpg
    BMR sealed IMP list pos.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,507
Last edited:
Made a quick and leaky "sealed" enclosure, filled it with pillow stuffing just to make sure I don't have a back wave like in the OB.

Winisd said about 0.85l for a single driver. This little box is about 4 litres.

Color me impressed. Those little 4 units keep the tone all across my huge couch, which is 3m wide!

There is only one little box with these 4 units, and standing at 45 degrees is almost as good as right in front of them. That's some kind of horizontal dispersion!

Check out the 1m and 1m at 45 degrees differences...

Then, have a look at what they do at 3m away, at listening position in the center of the couch. Nice! Impulse is not too shabby either. The spike at 6.5ms is my back wall behind the couch. I still need to devise something to take care of that.

There is no tweaking done. All just straight plugging, no JRiver, just plug output to amp, mic to sound card.

Now, I'm thinking... short array with 9 miniBMR drivers each, sandwiched between two 8" woofers that would take the low end up to about 400Hz, where the miniBMR would take over all the way up. It would mean playing with a crossover though...

PS. I forgot to measure dispersion vertically. Next on the list.
May I suggest your own thread?