The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

I like that "Treetop Flyer" track even better. But that one is more discriminating about the speakers it is played on. The Nils Lofgren track is almost all (lush) midrange.

Thanks for the good memories :).

The "Treetop Flyer" track is my favorite "girl with guitar" track, but it's an old man singing it, one that I can appreciate more. :D
It definitely gives you a good "you are there" vibe.

Last edited:
I like that "Treetop Flyer" track even better. But that one is more discriminating about the speakers it is played on. The Nils Lofgren track is almost all (lush) midrange.

Thanks for the good memories :).

The "Treetop Flyer" track is my favorite "girl with guitar" track, but it's an old man singing it, one that I can appreciate more. :D
It definitely gives you a good "you are there" vibe.

Could you post a link, please?

Bij voorbaat hartelijk dank
Gerald

Last edited:
I didn't know that track, nor do I have it. I've listened to it over headphones trough Youtube. But to really give it a shot I'll have to see if I can get my hands on the original.

If you have Ride the Lightning by Metallica - Call to Ktulu is where the opening riff comes from, the time where Dave Mustaine of Megadeth was part of Metallica.

Can't say that either of those bands are often on the audiophile recommended lists! I love Megadeth from the mid eighties to mid nineties I think I wore my cassettes out I listened to them that much at the time :)

While I searching youtube for the tracks mentioned to have a quick listen I came across this British Guitarist Mike Dawes, very impressive skills
Mike Dawes - Overload - Solo Guitar - YouTube

While I searching youtube for the tracks mentioned to have a quick listen I came across this British Guitarist Mike Dawes, very impressive skills

Thanks, @fluid! This track was the end for my crappy Yamahas. Never in over 35 years of live sound engineering I had a voice coil overshoot :mad:
But, I'm gonna try and use the integrated amp with a pair of TC9DFs (or two?)

That was fun to watch!

P.S. I don't have any Metallica nor Megadeth. Which doesn't mean I don't know them all that well :). I know the back story of Dave Mustaine and Metallica. I just wasn't that into both bands. At least I never bothered to buy an album. But I did have a girlfriend once that had all of em ;).

Thanks, @fluid! This track was the end for my crappy Yamahas. Never in over 35 years of live sound engineering I had a voice coil overshoot :mad:
But, I'm gonna try and use the integrated amp with a pair of TC9DFs (or two?)

Heavy traffic when he hit the deck creating him a atmosphere generator :D recorded 23 sec of that movie clip with Audacity to show its spectrum now compare it to Stephen Stills and Nils Loftgren at post 3720.

Attachments

• 2000.png
    2000.png
    90 KB · Views: 1,139
I've been away on holyday for about two weeks and yesterday was my first full day at home. Work starts again next week and this week all of the family is at home so listening time is limited.
But I did sneak in enough time for a couple of songs...

The second song I played was: Chris Cornell - Can't Change Me.

Odd how this song, that had been on my play list for the past few years gets a new meaning to me. I loved the song before, but now I can't help noticing the lyrics more in depth. This song keeps ringing trough my head.

Over the last few years we've lost a lot of talent... or at least I feel that way.

He was cool, love his Audioslave stuff too but some of it sounds compressed when the drums come in...
Chester Bennington of Linkin Park took his own life on what would have been Chris Cornell's 53rd birthday.

Then we had Elvis's birthday yesterday. I'm getting old.

Last edited:
Had a slightly longer listening session after I had done some more virtual corrections over the last few days.

I'm doing something wrong... this wasn't an improvement. Back to the drawing board to figure out what IS wrong.

Did I admit openly that I lost my favorite settings in a computer glitch? :eek:
All I had for backup was over half a year old. Half a year are a lot of tweaks in my world :(.
The sound XRK and BYRTT got to hear was lost in that glitch. I still have all my data, it's the JRiver EQ tweaks that are lost.

I figured I'd simply do better, but I'm not on my way yet. I even got a headache while listening which hadn't happened since I stopped using my home brew cross talk correction. :yikes:

A toned down version did OK for watching a movie last night, but some of the magic is gone. I guess I was in too much of a hurry to fix what I lost. I'll try again and eventually I'll get back what I lost.

This is also a case of changing too many variables to know where I went wrong. I experimented with the averaging, changed my DRC template, changed the way I EQ-ed and on top of that I changed the target to get that out of the mix of my Mid/Side EQ. Due to developing on the go it was entangled within my target settings and I wanted to get that out of that loop for a long time.
So instead of doing the logical thing: change one variable at a time, I changed a whole bunch and do not know where to put the blame right now.

It's bound to be something simple, and I will find it. For now I will abandon this road and go back to what I did before. The sad part for me is that I lost the tweaks to my ambient channel. That was really working before. I had separated the ambient part in two, one for ambience, one as a helper for the phantom center. That really worked very well, but was done over quite a bit of time. I didn't even try to get that back yet.

I still have a lot of older work and I'll get back on track soon. But first I need to figure out where I went wrong. That means more measurement sessions and I won't be able to do that for a couple of weeks.

By the way, the loss of JRiver data was my own fault. I run everything in mirror meaning all data always is available on two disks. My virus scanner messed up the startup of the mirrored OS and I should have fixed it using one of the two disks. In my hurry to get back online I made the mistake of overwriting both disks. A dumb move and shouldn't have happened.

In the past I always checked each and every tweak with measurements. Though virtual tweaks have always been close to reality I'm pretty sure it will highlight something that's off in this case.

Time will fix everything. :p