The M2 Output Stage in Class A/B, and maybe a Power WHAMMY?

Too complicated.

There are 2 long tracks running from the rails via 2x Rs to the opamp.
You just need to cut them halfway, and solder 2x LM329 in between to drop 7V.
If you want another 2V drop, then solder another red LED (HLNP6000) in series.
They are both very low noise, so no need for extra caps.

Patrick
LM329 is a precision Zener with 7V

Reactions: 1 user
TO-92 case, 3 pin , one not used
LM129-3289.png

Joined 2011
Paid Member
diyAudio members drive the M2 output stage with a transformer, because that's what Nelson Pass did in the original design

Official M2 Schematic (link)

and some people feel "if it's good enough for Nelson Pass then it's good enough for me", while others think "there must be something sonically wonderful about that transformer or else Nelson Pass wouldn't have used it. So I will assume the sound improves when the transformer is in place, therefore it's a good idea for me to use it too".

Reactions: 2 users
As Mark J is indicating, the sound of the M2(x) is intimately dependent on the use of the Edcor signal transformer. An Edcor driven by an OPA551 sounds wonderful and tonally well balanced.
And the M2x requires careful construction to avoid those smaller transformers from picking up hum from the main power transformer(s). Trade-offs…

Reactions: 3 users
It does describe the project, although not properly. The title should say something like : 'An investigation into running the M2OPS in class A/B'.

Seems like there are very few on this thread with English as their first language

The amp that has grown out of this study needs a new name. It's not just an M2OPS as VAS has been added in the form of various OpAmps and local + global feedback implemented (which is not mixed).

Good luck / Happy listening all, I'm off to further fettle my LuDEF :)

Mark, you are wrong about people using a transformer because Mr Pass did, I like diy because it affords me the opportunity to try different topologies and hear for myself what it sounds like. I really appreciate projects like this because it is different, Patrick is competent so I know it will work and it won’t break the bank to give it a try and see how it sounds, as far as the name goes who cares, Schitt Audio is a funky name and they seem to be doing pretty well.
Bill

Reactions: 1 user
There are lots of fun ways to tweak the M2 available to DIY enthusiasts. I have tried reducing the Source resistors to 1% precision 0.45 Ohm and boosting the current through the optocoupler with positive listening results.
As with other Pass designed amps, the M2 may also benefit from increasing the bias current through though output Mosfets. My tweaks did this as well.

Reactions: 1 users