The JBL Monitor Sound - Technically

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was researching the JBL M2 awhile back and came across this blind listening test held on another site. I am not sure if I can post the link but you can find it by googling JBL M2 comparison (as an example). The site is audiosciencereview.com/forum/ and they compared them to the Revel Salon2. The folks ended up favoring the Revels.

Hi Erik

I can only comment on the JBL4341. It's a big sound. Effortless. Can go loud without straining. Very sweet mid-highs. If I'm not mistaken, it's from the JBL2440 compression driver.

I believe JBL had a white paper on the concept of these large format monitors. Something about creating a Wall of Sound. Purpose was so that people can be anywhere in the recording room and the sound doesn't change much. Maybe that's the reason for the louvers at the horn mouth.

Mike

The more I think about this, the more I wonder if we can nail it down.

I am a measurment geek and most of my JBL monitors measure well on and off axis. I think that’s a start but certainly not exclusive to JBL.

My 1400 Arrays are certainly voiced differently than my 4365’s. The 1400’s are mellow, the 4365’s are much more dynamic and monitor like but not quite M2’s.

The 1400’s have the +4dB from bottom to 100Hz sloping to flat by 200Hz and then gently falling from just about 1kHz on. They are voiced kind of like the 250Ti’s. These are home models. The 4365’s (kinda real monitors made for Japan) are nearly flat and the M2 are crazy flat.

One thing of which I am certain, the 1400’s could never be EQ’d to be as live as the 4365’s. The woofers are dramatically different and there is a character that large format compression drivers have that is all their own. Nothing does sax, trombone or big brass in general like these do.

Thinking out loud here but the better I get a system to measure in magnatude (on and off axis) and phase, the more true monitor like it sounds.

I will see if I can round up all the frequency responses of these and do some comparing. Maybe some pattern will emerge.

Barry.

Hi Michael,

The louvers are to delay the sound from that driver so it integrates better in time and phase.

The "sit anywhere" is from having a wide and even dispersion. Something Revel and others have also taken to heart. Some of the Magico's also excel, if not over-excell at this.

I am not picking on you but I cut you up just to make a couple of points:

One commonality is truly high quality low distortion drivers, voiced for accuracy.

The second paragraph is an example of what a true studio monitor is not. They are professional tools for a professional trade. They are not voiced to sound nice, they are voiced to be as accurate as the tecnology for the time would allow. Most are designed to be soffit mounted above the studio control room window and of course sound different when on the floor and away from walls.

I hear it said often that these speakers are clinical, lean and sterile. Personally I like them very much. Maybe it’s an aquired taste.

I know one thing for sure, I wouldn’t want a scope or any other measurment gear that lied to me.

Barry.

No hard feelings. After all, I don't know what I'm talking about as I've never heard them (any JBL monitors).

If 'effortless' and 'low distortion' are the sought after characteristics, then it might be interesting to do THD measurements at higher listening levels.

The very few horns I heard had something typical about them.
Normally, beaming drivers are not desired. But I feel that beaming also has the advantage of less (early) room reflections or echoes. While it might be at the price of a smaller sweet-spot, it gains a kind of in-your-face, or rather a headphone-like experience. Ideal for monitoring I'd think.

But, a good off-axis response contradicts that?

Last edited:
I think part of it could be that the true JBL studio monitors are equalized (voiced) to have a flat amplitude response, speakers for general listening pleasure rarely are.

This would give them their “forward” or “in your face” comparative sound character compared to the “laid back” “East coast” sound no?

Barry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.