The Interesting Facts Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"When you're a billionaire, the office commutes to YOU."
LOL Quite true.

So Wikipedia provides a to-the-point description of the number paradox, but I'm confused with these statements: "...the repeating decimal 0.999... which may also be written as 0.9, 0.9 with dot over the 9 or 0.(9), denotes a real number...) and "...is closely related to the fact that there are no nonzero infinitesimal real numbers."
But otherwise I don't see it as anything other than a mathematics quirk.

Last edited:
I haven't yet had the chance to read the most recent link provided for 0.9999... ad infinitum, but I still find the postulate that it being the same as 1 to be false. From my point of view, it is much the same as a logarithmic curve, always approaching some finite value, but not quite reaching it.

While in practical application many will make the rounding to 1, this does introduce errors in calculations.

Peace,

Dave

I think this comic is a accurate representation of the math being "used" in this thread
aLTq3.jpg

Attachments

• Doesn't make senser.jpg
    Doesn't make senser.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 101
The effort and attention to detail, when serving the Fuhrer's needs and safety, were reminiscent of a Byzantine court. Before he arrived, Gestapo teams searched the walls for microphones and explosives. A large vegetable garden was organized by a German horticultural firm, Zeidenspiner, and dug by the Todt Organization. Hitler's personal chef, Hauptsturmfuhrer Fater, had to go out to select the vegetables himself. Any other vegetable destined for the Fuhrer's plate had to be dug up under the eye of an appointed courier who then brought the produce direct to the kitchen. All the food was chemically analyzed before cooking, and sampled by a taster before it reached his plate. Samples from the water supply also had to be checked several times a day. Mineral water was bottled in the presence of couriers, and brought in. Even the laundry was X-rayed to ensure that no explosive had been concealed. Oxygen tanks were stored outside the bunker ready to pump in air, because Hitler was afraid of noxious vapours from the ferroconcrete. The Gestapo supervised the filling of these tanks and tested them regularly.

Last edited:
I have a quirk in math that I read about a few years ago being:

The sum of all the digits of any (base 10) number that was multiplied by 9 will always equal “9”

e.g.

9 x 9 = 81 where the 8 + 1 = 9

345 x 9 = 3105 where the 3 + 1 + 0 + 5 = 9

6,823,376 x 9 = 61410384 where the 6+1+4+1+0+3+8+4 = 27 & where the 2 + 7 = 9

0.6357 x 9 = 5.7213 where 5+7+2+1+3 = 18 where the 1 + 8 = 9

Cool !

How can you explain this?

Philip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.